{Book Two} 84 | Trust

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 14

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

The constant stream of voices and car doors slamming was heard from outside. Amir ambled quietly out of his room, trying desperately not to disturb his wife as she slept. He knew the group was back from wherever they had traveled to, and he was about to have to face them.

He sighed, not giving a damn to leave her alone, not for a second.

But if he doesn't go to the main house soon, then they'd fetch someone to come to him instead. That was all Dr. Kim instructed since he opened his eyes and had quickly adjusted himself to their current reality.

In the last seventy-two hours, literally hundreds of scientists had come and gone from the house, and they had treated it like it was one big hive. Each of them was well connected and worked together like little worker bees for their queen, but instead, it was their king.

Which had the doctor's ego sitting on a high pedestal.

The man loved barking orders, and Amir was disgusted at his attitude. His instructions were almost overwhelming at times, his needs and desires for new formulas to be developed at specific time frames. It was at the forefront of every employee's mind. Annotate. Decode. Formulate. Analyze. Identify. He deciphered what they were thinking before he understood his abilities. The only time there was even a measure of relief was when he was with Luna. Being around her was much better than watching the others insert dreadful serums into a patient's IV.

Watching their breath rise and fall, slowly dozing off had him uncomfortable and worried they weren't going to wake up. He didn't trust whatever was given to them because the body can only take so much stress before it declined. How the doctor was constructing human trials was corrupted and heinous. He couldn't stand it any longer and was ready to take action.

He was coming up with ways to switch out the formulas for something less harmful, but he was also fearful about getting caught. He didn't want to risk their chance at freedom because of what he wanted to do for the sick patients.

The staff members were the coldest scumbags he'd ever seen.

Striding across the polished wood floors of the living room that could accommodate a militia and still have room for more people, he went straight into the kitchen and began brewing a cup of coffee.

Stepping toward the back door, he inched away the white curtain and peered out into the window, observing the staff unload three transport vehicles. He stood there pondering what the group's next move was. He didn't feel good around the doctor or some guy named Chase.

In the back of his mind, he could sense there was bad blood between them, but he couldn't figure it out. All he knew was that Chase was a nutcase and was warranted the same treatment everybody else will get for hurting Tethered Souls.

No one deserved to be put through so much pain for research.

Glancing at the top of the stairs, he thought of Luna. He wandered if things went a little fast for them, or at least, for himself. Mentally, he barely knew her, but emotionally, it felt like they knew one another their whole lives. Pieces of her childhood floated inside his mind, which caused him to feel like he launched ten feet into the air and had never come down. Small things about her past had crossed his mind, things he'd once seen before felt foreign, but also familiar.

He'd seen the moment she gave birth to Sarah. There was something about her birth father that puzzled him. Had they crossed paths before?

He couldn't make sense of how he and Sam knew one another, but he established that they were acquainted at one point. He was committed to unraveling the mystery behind Luna's late boyfriend and what their connection meant.