28 | Outsider At the Door

Start from the beginning

"Honey you need to let me get started on your hair, that fishtail thing you want me to do—" Laura began till her crazy child turned to her mother so fast she almost fell over.

"Yes! Can we do like a half up half down crown thing?" Lily asked.

I was getting the hell out of this bathroom.

"Where are you going?" Lily asked, panicked.

I haven't even moved a damn inch. "To finish getting ready..." I muttered.

"But—"

"I can do my makeup and get dressed," I chuckled. "Besides, let your mother do your damn hair, we have to go soon."

Laura turned her head to me and gave me a wink. Lily just gave me a nervous nod and went back to tell her mother how she wanted her hair.

I scurried to Lily's room and got my dress out of her closet. It was a simple dress, a sapphire blue to match my eyes. Despite its lack of anything decorative, the cut of the straps and the way the skirt flared out right before my knees complimented my figure. There wasn't much honestly. I was a tall, straight stick.

After I applied a little makeup, I went downstairs. Eddie and Zach had been waiting down there the entire time. Doing hair took forever. Especially since all of us had long-ass hair except for Elle. Mine was down almost past my waist.

Zach got up from the couch when he saw me come into the living room. Eddie and Samuel were watching something on the television.

"You look—" he paused, looking me up and down. "Very beautiful."

"Thanks," I murmured, blushing. "You look very uh, handsome too!"

He wore a white button-down shirt with a tie that matched my dress and black slacks. He even combed his dark hair back and still managed to look like a total dork.

Though at least he wasn't wearing a stupid bowtie. Eddie was notorious for always wearing them to dances. Not just normal ones, but polka dot ones. This one was a light blue with yellow dots. Which matched his girlfriend's yellow and blue dress.

I'm surprised Lily hasn't died at the sight of it.

Elle had a beautiful silvery dress that looked amazing on her, though it made her look like an ice queen.

"Are they almost done?" Zach asked as we walked over to the base of the stairs.

"You tell me, you have the super hearing," I giggled.

"I think I hear Lily going on about someone's yellow dress?" he replied.

"Eh, they'll be down soon," I assured, patting him on the back.

Sighing, he went back to the living room. With one last glance up the stairs, I followed him.

"Any sign of Brandon?" Samuel asked, "I would hate to have to kill him for standing my daughter up."

"He said he would be here," Eddie interjected sharply.

Samuel just gave him a pointed look.

"—Sir," Eddie finished.

"Well, I for one hope he doesn't come you know?" I said to myself, only to realize I might have said that out loud.

Everyone was staring at me now. Then the damn doorbell rang.

Seriously, a bell always had to ring at the most awkward times.

"I'll get it!" Zach chirped and left the living room.

I sat on the couch and grumbled. I'm glad Zach had made friends with people, but why did it have to be people like Brandon? Even Eddie. I know he and Amberly have been together for a while, but he is such a dork.