Chapter 55: New day

Rory had gone to Robert's the night she returned from speaking to Finn. Robert had put her in his guest room. His room was across the hall. He had been lying there for about twenty minutes listening to her cry. 

He couldn't listen to her in pain anymore. He got up and walked across the hall, he gently knocked on the door and walked in. 

"I'm sorry Robert I didn't mean to wake you up. Maybe I should find a more permanent place to live."

"Nonsense Rory, I am not upset I am worried about you. You didn't wake me up because I hadn't gone to sleep. Would you join me for a cup of coffee or tea so we can talk?"

"Thanks, yes. Give me just a minute and I will be in there." Robert smiled and closed the door. 

He entered the kitchen and started his kettle and a pot of coffee. He sat the cups down and waited for Rory to join him. He was standing in the kitchen with his boxer shorts on and no shirt. 

Rory walked in and stopped as she was staring at him. She had never truly noticed how good-looking he was. He was standing there with his hair pushed to the side and a small five-o'clock shadow on his face. Robert was a really good-looking man, maybe she shouldn't have been so hung up on Logan, and she and Robert could have been something.   

He noticed how she was looking at him. She was staring at him in his kitchen. Maybe he should put on some pants and a tank. He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry, Ror I should go put some pants on and a tank. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

She smiled at him and laughed. "Oh, silly Robert. You think that you are making me uncomfortable because you are in your boxers. I have seen you naked plenty of times. Running around with your underwear on your head. Of course, that was college, and since then you have matured into a very good-looking man. I just hadn't realized how good-looking until now. So, you aren't making me uncomfortable because of what you are wearing."

Robert smiled, "how good-looking Miss Rory? That was a very high compliment coming from you. Coffee or tea?"

"Coffee and very."

Robert smiled his crooked smile and went to fix her coffee. "You take a little cream and two spoons of sugar, correct? Go have a seat on the couch and I will bring it to you."

"Yes, please." She walked over to the couch and sat down.

Robert walked over with her cup and his. He sat it on the table beside her and he sat at the other end of the couch. "Now, what's going on dear?"

"You know everything that's going on. I just never realized that I would have a one-year-old son and a baby on the way going through a legal separation. Why did Finn have to do this why? We were really happy or at least I thought we were. I thought we had a great relationship. The mean things he said just aren't him. Have you ever heard him talk like that to anyone ever?"

"I can understand that. I really have no idea what is going on with Finn. I have never heard him talk like that ever, especially to someone he loves. I agree it's very strange and I am actually worried about him. Both times you have spoken with him he was sober now sometimes when he is drunk he isn't so filtered."

"What do you mean filtered?"

"So, back in the day if he saw a woman he wanted to sleep with. He would walk right up to her and tell her he wanted to fuck her. I have never known him to be so mean rude yes but mean no. I do know he is going to flip when he gets those papers."

"I wonder if this is something medically related. Something wrong that we haven't even thought about?"

"Like what, Ror?"