Chapter33: Time to break the news

Christopher opened the door. He smiled as he saw his oldest daughter standing there with a dark-complected man with his arm around her. 

"Rory, so good to see. You are looking very beautiful and you seem to be glowing."

"Hey dad, good to see you as well. This is Finn my boyfriend and Finn this is my dad Christopher Hayden."

The men shook hands and they walked inside. He led them to his living room and they sat beside each other.

"So, what brings you to Boston Rory? I will be back in Hartford next week. You could have come by the office and we could have had lunch. Have you eaten dinner yet?"

"No, we just landed at the airport and we dropped off his brother Julian at their hotel. Have you eaten dinner yet?"

"No, not yet. I got home about thirty minutes ago from the office to make sure I was here when you arrived. You said it was important. Would you prefer to talk to me at dinner or before we go to get dinner?"

"Okay, so um Finn and I have been together for the last few months. It was the week after I saw you last when I stopped by your office to talk to you. Actually, we were together before I started seeing Logan again."

"When were you seeing Logan again? I heard he was engaged to some french heiress and still living in London?"

"He is and I was seeing him while he was with her. Anyway, it's not something I am proud of. Finn and I attended Yale together and met through Logan and the Life and Death Brigade."

"I was actually dating Finn prior to me and Logan. That is another story for a different time. So, the reason we are here is that we have some news. Some really big news. We are pregnant and we are due in July."

Chris sat there shocked and couldn't speak for a minute. "Wow, a baby. You are going to be a mother and I am going to be a grandfather. Wow, well congratulations. I am guessing this is good news for you both and you are happy about the pregnancy."

"Yes, dad we are very happy. I had just told mom the news the day of their wedding and Finn showed up. I told him the news after he told me he loved me and wanted to be with me."

Chris jumped up and hugged them both. "Let's celebrate, dinner is on me. Wow, I am going to be a grandfather. How did your mom take the news that she will be a grandma?"

"Well, she said we would figure out what the baby will call her but it will not be grandma. She likes Finn, dad I am really happy." 

"Well, if you are happy kiddo then I am happy for you. I am happy for you both. So, where will you be living?"

"Mainly in Hartford but Finn's family owns hotels worldwide and he travels a lot. His brother flew back from Australia with us so he can travel instead of Finn until after the baby is born."

"Yes, sir I won't allow her to fly after she hits five months and she can only travel to New York, Boston, Philly, and the hotels between them until seven months. After seven months she will stay home with her feet propped up and get waited on by me."

"Well, that is very good of you. Finn, thank you for taking care of my girl. I see how you look at her and can tell that you really love her."

"I really do sir. There is no need to thank me, I love taking care of her and I am just glad that she loves me and gave me a second chance. Thanks to you and Lorelai for creating such a beautiful human being."

"Well, you are very welcome I am pretty proud of her. Alright, shall we go eat?"

"Yes, please I am starving and now I am eating for two."