Surprises at the Sixties Dance

"Very mod," Damon said as Mallorie came down the stairs. "Twiggy would be proud."

"You're not dressed up." Mallorie frowned.

"It's not a requirement for chaperones." Damon walked toward the door.

"You're just a party pooper." Mallorie marched after him.

"Hey, I'm only going to this stupid dance to see Klaus, and hopefully watch him die." Damon opened his car door and slid into his seat.

Mallorie followed him. "You could still have fun."

"Oh, don't worry about me having fun." Damon smirked.

The entire ride to the school, Mallorie couldn't get her thoughts to stop. Hundreds of things could go wrong. If they couldn't find Klaus, he'd still have the upper hand. And if he could get her alone, she didn't stand a chance.

"Nervous?" Damon asked as he parked the car.

"Is it that obvious?" Mallorie adjusted her headband.

"As long as I've known you, I don't think I've ever heard you say so little." Damon turned the car off. "We are going to do everything in our power to keep you safe. We all care for you. As annoying as it may be, we aren't letting you out of our sight tonight. Try not to let him get to you."

Mallorie gave him a small smile. "I mean, I guess if we don't succeed, Klaus just kills me and completes his mission tonight. Saves you all a lot of stress."

Damon shot Mallorie a hard look. "Original or not, I'll rip Klaus's throat out before he can lay a finger on you."

Despite the aggressiveness of Damon's words, Mallorie felt her stomach flop. She knew he cared but to hear him say how much made her heart flutter. Did he still love her?

"Come on." Damon patted her hand. "Let's go show Klaus who's boss."

They stepped out of the car and walked into the school. Bonnie and Jeremy stood in the doorway to the gym. Damon slipped past them and out to the dancefloor. Stefan and Elena appeared shortly after.

They headed into the dance as a group. As they made their way onto the floor, all of their eyes searched the crowds for someone who stuck out. Nothing seemed to catch Mallorie's eye.

"Thanks for being here everyone. We have a special shout-out tonight." Dana's voice was loud as they passed by the speakers. "To Mallorie from Klaus."

Even though everyone in the group turned to her, Mallorie found Damon's eyes across the room as panic swelled in her chest. Her hands turned clammy as she walked toward him. Damon moved from the edge of the room to come speak with the group. His hands rubbed her arms as soon as they were close enough together.

Damon looked into Mallorie's eyes. "That was lame. Cheap shot. He's just trying to bait us."

"I know everyone here." Mallorie felt tears welling.

"Maybe he's not here." Stefan shifted his weight. "He just wants us to think he is."

Damon wrapped his arm around Mallorie. "It's a party, people. Blend. Let him come to us."

He pulled Mallorie away from the group as a tear slipped from her eye. Mallorie quickly wiped it away as Damon rubbed her arm. Despite the resolve he had built in the car, Mallorie felt her walls crumbling.

"Just breathe. We'll find him." Damon whispered. "Let's go talk to Ric for a second."

Mallorie took a deep breath as they approached Ric.

"Special dedication, huh?" Ric chuckled. "This guy's a little twisted."

"I'm not impressed." Damon's face was stone.