See You Soon

~ May 23, 2009 ~

"Isn't it a little late to be out here alone?"

Mallorie's head snapped up from her sketchpad to see where the voice had come from. In front of her was a man with jet-black hair and piercing blue eyes. He had a smirk on his face like he knew something she didn't.

"Isn't it a little weird to be strolling through the cemetery at night?" She asked.

"Perhaps, but I asked you first," he said.

"I tend to not let the brutish behavior of men keep me from doing what I want." Mallory crossed her arms.

"That's very Jane Austen of you." The man smiled.

Mallorie pulled a small canister from her bag. "I also have mace, so don't try anything."

"There's no need to be hostile." The man held up his hands. "What are you doing out here?"

"It's the best place to sketch the moon." Mallorie held up her sketchpad. "I forgot how many trees there were in Mystic Falls."

The man looked around. "I guess I never noticed. Do you mind if I sit?"

"Sure, but you'll have to tell me your name," Mallorie said.

The man sat and then extended his hand to her. "Damon."

"Mallorie." Mallorie shook his hand. "What brings you to this neck of the woods tonight?"

"I just got back into town, and I'm on my way to visit an old friend." Damon grinned again.

"Don't let me hold you up." Mallorie began tucking her stuff back into her bag. "I was just heading home."

"Let me walk you to your house," Damon said.

"What about your friend?" Mallorie zipped up her backpack.

"She'll wait for me." Damon stood and extended his hand to her.

Mallorie took it, and he pulled her to her feet. "If you're sure."

"Where do you live?" Damon asked.

"Out by the old boarding house," Mallorie replied. 

As the two walked, Mallorie became less and less suspicious of Damon. He didn't try anything, and his smile seemed less sinister. 

"So are you an artist?" Damon asked.

"No, but I hope to be when I finish school." Mallorie adjusted her bag on her shoulder.

"Are you in college?" He asked.

Mallorie laughed. "Do I look old?"

"No, I was just guessing--it sounded like--"

"Chill, I'm just busting your chops." Mallorie smiled. "I'm going to finish my sophomore year of high school in a few weeks."

"And your parents just let you walk around alone at night?" Damon asked. "Don't get me wrong, Mystic Falls is a safe place. It just seems odd."

"I may have lied a bit to you earlier." Mallorie looked at the road.

"How so?" Damon asked.

"The cemetery isn't the only place I could sketch the moon. This is the anniversary of my parents' death. I like to spend time with them when I get the chance." Mallorie felt a tear slip down her cheek, but she quickly wiped it away.

"I'm sorry." Damon stared at the ground.

Mallorie kicked a pebble across the road. "It isn't your fault. They were a part of vicious animal attacks when I was two. I hardly remember them, but I feel connected to them when I'm here. I talk to them. Tell them about the latest year or so of my life."