Founder's Day Blow Up

~ Mallorie ~

The Founder's party was already in full swing by the time Bonnie and Caroline got there. Mallorie and Elena had put the chili with the three other ones at the potluck table. Though she hated to admit it, Damon had been right about everyone bringing chili. However, her mind was more focused on her necklace. They found a spot on some benches a ways away from the rest of the party to start looking into why Mallorie's necklace was being so weird.

"I have an identification spell that might be able to tell me what magic affected the necklace," Bonnie said as she opened the grimoire.

Mallorie fished the napkin-bound necklace out of her bag and handed it to Bonnie. "Do whatever it takes. That necklace has been through so much already."

"It's going to take a while, so tell me if anyone's coming, okay?" Bonnie uncovered the necklace and got to work.

The three girls scanned the finely manicured and busy lawn at the Lockwood mansion, but no one seemed interested in joining them.

"So, Mallorie, have you not learned your lesson?" Caroline asked.

Mallorie's head snapped around so fast she thought she was going to get whiplash. "Excuse me?"

"Caroline..." Bonnie muttered.

"Stay focused." Caroline chided before turning back to Mallorie. "As your friend who worries for you daily, what is the deal with you and Damon?"

"There is no deal. Besides, it's none of your business if there is a deal." Mallorie pursed her lips.

Elena sighed. "They've been as focused on finding Stefan as have I. Just because they've been doing things together, it doesn't mean that anything has happened. It's refreshing to know that Damon has another emotion aside from anger."

"Yeah, but that doesn't make him any less Damon. If my own father, who I love dearly, can't change me, no one's changing Damon." Caroline's eyes hardened as they landed on Mallorie. "Not even you."

Mallorie shook her head. "Why are we even talking about this?"

"Hey guys," Bonnie's voice shook with anxiety.

As they all looked at her, Mallorie noticed her necklace slowly levitating off the pages of the grimoire.

"What are you doing?" Caroline asked.

Bonnie furrowed her brows. "I'm not doing anything. It has its own magic." 

All three of the girls looked at Mallorie. Panic swelled in Mallorie's throat. Why was all of this happening now? What was wrong with the necklace that her great-great-grandparents wanted to remain in their family?

*****

~ Damon ~

Upon arriving at the party, Damon did not want to deal with the sassy looks that Blondie was almost certain to give him if he joined Mallorie. He didn't even have to talk with her to know that she didn't approve of the time they had been spending together. Mallorie had texted about a necklace issue, but the only one who could help was Bonnie, and she likely didn't approve of their alone time either. He opted to look at the food to see how many chilies had arrived. Ric appeared across the table from him and handed him a beer.

"I'm going to let you in on a little secret..." Damon moved away from the table and Ric walked with him. "Founder's parties are just an excuse for the council to gather in back rooms and plot against vampires."

"Hey, uh, I think you need to take a beat with Mallorie," Ric said as he stopped. 

"Excuse me?" Damon wasn't sure his hearing was working properly.