You Care

Mallorie didn't need to look up to know who was talking. However, she wanted to. She wanted him to see her eyes as she spoke. With her jaw set, Mallorie turned away from Jeremy to look at Damon.

"You followed me here?" Mallorie closed some distance between them. "What did you think that would do exactly? You're upset. And drunk. Not a good combination."

"I'm not upset. That's an emotion, specific to those who care." Damon stared through Mallorie.

Mallorie crossed her arms. "Don't lie, Damon. You care."

Damon used his vamp speed to close the distance. He brushed a hair out of Mallorie's face. "You're right, I do care."

Before she knew what was happening, Damon's lips slammed to hers. Though the kiss threw goosebumps across her body, Mallorie pushed him off. He looked stunned.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Mallorie shouted.

Damon stepped closer. "You liked it."

"Just because I liked it doesn't mean I wanted it." Mallorie glared.

"What am I supposed to do?" Damon threw his arms up.

"Not follow me when I need space," Mallorie shouted. "I was going to call you later tonight. I thought we could make it through this."

"We can." Damon closed the distance again and tried to kiss her.

Mallorie pushed him away. "You're better than this."

"That's where you're wrong." Damon smirked.

"No, I'm not. I've seen the other side of you. You're good. You're kind." Mallorie felt his fingers slip between hers. "But you do irresponsible things, and you hurt those around you. I can't be with you when you're like this."

Elena stepped into the landing. "What's going on?"

Mallorie pulled her hands out of Damon's grip. "Damon was just leaving."

As Mallorie turned to go to Elena's room, Jeremy moved behind her. She whipped around to see Damon almost chest-to-chest with Jeremy.

"Not a good idea, pal," Jeremy said.

Damon looked at Mallorie over Jeremy's shoulder. "Oh, yeah?"

"No!" Mallorie and Elena shouted as Damon grabbed Jeremy's head.

With a flick of his wrists, Jeremy's neck snapped. He crumpled to the floor. Elena dropped her mug and ran over to Jeremy's side. Mallorie marched over to Damon. She shoved him.

"Get out! Get out right now!" Mallorie yelled.

"As you wish." Damon grinned before he used his vamp speed to vanish.

Mallorie dropped down beside Elena. "What do we do?"

Through her tears, Elena pulled up Jeremy's arm. "He's not dead."

"What?" Mallorie asked.

"This ring." Elena sniffled. "It's magic. He'll come back."

"What do you want me to do?" Mallorie asked.

"Call Stefan." Elena cried.

"She doesn't have to," Stefan spoke from the top of the steps. "I came as soon as I realized he was gone. What did he do?"

"He snapped Jeremy's neck," Mallorie said.

"What?" Stefan squatted next to Elena.

"It's okay. He's got a Gilbert ring on." Elena wiped away her tears.