Crying Eyes and Aching Hearts

~ Damon ~

"I have to go tell Jeremy about Anna. Be safe until I get back." Damon squeezed Mallorie's hand before walking past Matt's truck.

As he passed, Matt glared down at him. Damon didn't blame Matt. He hadn't done the best job of building a reputation when he first came to town, and now he was kissing Matt's best friend. Still, Matt could be a little more courteous for Mallorie.

Once Damon was sure he was out of sight, he used his vamp speed to get to town. He didn't stop until he was on the Gilberts' front porch. Though he could have knocked, he didn't. Damon had already been invited in. Instead, he opted to go through Jeremy's window. That meant a lot fewer conversations on his end.

When he came through, Jeremy was standing over his dresser. Damon leaned against the doorframe of his bathroom and narrowed his eyes trying to figure out what he was doing. Jeremy turned and nearly jumped out of his skin.

"What are you doing here?" Jeremy demanded.

Damon licked his lips. "Anna's dead."

"I figured that once they took her away." Though Jeremy didn't seem to emote, Damon could tell he hoped she wasn't.

"I know you cared about her." Damon pressed his lips into a flat line.

"Yeah, I did." Jeremy's voice choked a little.

"I saw her killed." Damon shook his head. "I was watching and all I could think about was...I wanted to help her, but I couldn't."

"Why are you telling me all this?" Anger seeped into Jeremy's voice.

Damon pushed himself off the door jamb. "I took away your suffering once before. I can do it again, but it's your choice."

"Look, I know you think you took it away, but it's still there." Jeremy's face trembled because of withheld emotions. "Even if I can't remember why. I still feel empty, and alone, and making me forget won't fix it. It won't fix what's really wrong."

Damon walked over to Jeremy. "What I did to Vicki was wrong. I'm sorry for my part." 

As he turned to leave, Jeremy spoke up. "Anna said that vampires don't have to feel pain; that they could turn it off if they shut out their humanity."

Damon turned his head to face Jeremy. "That's very true." 

"Is it easier that way?" Jeremy asked.

"Is what easier?" Damon swiveled so his whole body faced Jeremy.

"Life." Jeremy still shook with emotion.

Damon pursed his lips. "Life sucks, either way, Jeremy. But, at least if you're a vampire, you don't have to feel bad about it if you don't want to." 

"Is that what you did?" Jeremy asked.

"I did it for a, uh, I did it for a very long time and life was a lot easier." Damon frowned before walking out of Jeremy's room.

While Damon walked down the stairs, he made a note to tell Mallorie to talk to Elena about Jeremy. So he wouldn't forget, he shot her a quick text. Then he walked out of the house. Coming up the front steps was Elena with all her stuff from the parade.

"What are you doing here?" Elena asked.

"Failed and feeble attempt at doing the right thing." Damon looked at the porch floor before his eyes finally met hers.

"Which was...?" Elena asked.

"It's not important. Let me take this for you." Damon took her dress and her bag to set them down on the ledge of the porch.