The Gilbert Device

When Mallorie woke up the next morning, everything came rushing back. Though it was easy to bury what had happened with Isobel, she couldn't shake what she had said to Damon. There was only one solution to her problems: a run. 

She rolled over to look at the clock. Because she had fallen asleep so early, it was only five in the morning. Mallorie stood up, stretched, and threw on some exercise clothes. After strapping her phone to her arm and placing her headphones in her ears, she exited into the brisk morning. 

The cool air caused goosebumps to rise on her exposed skin. She shook them off as she began her jog into darkness.

When she turned to head back home, the first light of the day was peaking over the horizon. Despite the cold air burning her lungs, she pressed on. Well, until a hand grabbed her hair.

Mallorie whirled around to take a punch at her attacker's face. A hand wrapped around hers. Her eyes flicked to the attacker's face.

"Damon, what the hell?" Mallorie ripped her headphones out of her ears.

"You got a killer right hook there." Damon smirked.

"Yeah, and your face almost found out." Mallorie placed her hands on her head.

"You really shouldn't run without a partner." Damon walked around her. "What if I had been someone else?"

"I can take care of myself." Mallorie started jogging again.

Damon followed her. "I don't know. I stopped you pretty easy."

Mallorie stuck out her leg. Damon tripped over it and collided with the pavement. With a fit of laughter, Mallorie continued jogging. Using his vamp speed, Damon caught up with her.

"That's not funny." He wagged his finger.

"I thought it was hilarious." Mallorie giggled.

"I didn't know you were a runner," Damon said.

Mallorie cocked a brow. "Only when I need to work through something."

"What's that?" Damon asked.

Mallorie stopped jogging. Damon turned back to look at her and stopped, too. He furrowed his brows and placed his hands on his hips.

"I'm really sorry about what I said to you last night. I was overwhelmed, and I directed all that anger at you--"

"Stop." Damon held up his hand. "I've been known to lash out more than once. I'd be the pot calling the kettle black if I didn't forgive you. Let's just forget about it."

"Thank you." Mallorie looked at her shoes.

"Come on. I'll race you to the house." Damon nodded.

"No cheating." Mallorie stepped up beside him. "Ready, set, go!"

Mallorie took off like a bullet fired from a gun. All she could hear was the slapping of her shoes on the asphalt and her deep breathing. Damon's footsteps became more and more distant. When their driveways were in sight, Mallorie felt a rush of wind. Damon smiled at her from the side of the road.

"Cheater." Mallorie glared as she walked up her own drive.

Within an hour, Mallorie was dressed and ready for her duties with Caroline. When she walked outside, Damon was leaning on his car at the end of her driveway. She rolled her eyes and moved toward him.

"I don't need a ride," Mallorie said. 

"Are you kidding? You just ran for an hour and a half. You can't possibly feel like walking to the school." Damon crossed his arms.