Sending a Message

"Mason, you should've been here an hour ago." Katherine's voice sounded just like Mallorie's as it spilled through the phone speaker.

Mallorie grabbed Damon's arm as he tried to shoo her away. "This isn't a good idea."

"Wrong boy toy." Damon pulled his arm away from Mallorie.

"Damon. For once you've surprised me," Katherine said. "Is that Mallorie I hear in the background? Did you kiss and make up?"

His eyes flashed with anger as Damon looked at Mallorie. "She had nothing to do with this."

"This? I'm guessing you mean whatever happened to Mason. Is he there with you?" Katherine asked.

"He's right beside me." Damon wandered around the rug. "Although, his heart's across the room."

"You shouldn't have." Venom dripped off Katherine's voice. Part of Mallorie wished she could sound that menacing.

"I've had a very busy day today. I killed a werewolf and found a moonstone. Hey, did you know that he hid the moonstone in the bottom of a well full of vervain? I guess he didn't trust you very much. Although, he did love you. Poor guy." Damon stared down at the rolled-up rug. "Hey, where are you? Because, you know, I could bring him over. Last goodbyes and all that."

"You have no idea what you've done," Katherine said.

"Awww, did I put a kink in your master plan?" Damon fake pouted. "I'm so sorry."

Katherine chuckled. "Do you honestly believe that I don't have a plan B? And if that fails, a plan C, then a plan D, and...you know how the alphabet works, don't you? Send my love to Stefan."

The call went dead.

"Was that Katherine?" Stefan asked as he stepped into the parlor. "Damon, what did you do?"

"I'm gonna go, while you figure this out." Mallorie pointed to the door.

"I'll walk you out." Stefan followed her. Once they were near the door, he spoke again. "I really can't thank you enough for today."

"How are you feeling?" Mallorie asked.

"I'm good. I wouldn't have been without what you did, so thank you." Stefan opened the door for her.

"No problem." Mallorie offered a grin.

She cast one more gaze at Damon. He looked pained as he listened in on their conversation. Those piercing blue eyes met hers. Her breath hitched in her throat, and she turned back to Stefan.

"See you later." Mallorie walked out the door.

"Bye." Stefan closed the door behind her.

Mallorie's walk home was chilly but short. Why had Damon looked at her like that? Why did he defend her on the phone to Katherine? What was Katherine's next move?

Alaric sat in the living room as Mallorie stepped into the house. "Hey, Mallorie."

"Hey, Ric." Mallorie stepped into the room. "Where's everyone?"

"Elena and Jeremy are in their rooms. Jenna is on the phone in the kitchen," Ric said. "You alright? You look a little tense."

"I think Damon made a bad move today." Mallorie sat on the coffee table. "He killed Mason. Katherine's out for blood."

"Why would Katherine care about Mason?" Ric leaned forward.

"They were together. Obviously, she was just using him, but she doesn't like people messing with her plans." Mallorie rubbed her temples.