Trials and Tribulation

After a boring week of school, Mallorie woke up on Saturday ready for some fun. However, she had to go to court with Jenna. Her foster parents had come back into town to fight the adoption. Though Mallorie knew they weren't in it for her, they were in it for the money.

"Hey, kiddo." Jenna popped her head into Mallorie's room. "Ready to go?"

Mallorie sighed. "I guess."

Mallorie pulled the sides of her pastel suit jacket tighter around her body. She had paired it with a nice black blouse and a black, knee-length pencil skirt. Though she owned heels, she didn't think her foster parents deserved that fancy of outfit. She coupled combat boots with the outfit.

"You're going to do great." Jenna walked with her to the car. "Just be honest with the judge, and he will go to our side. The Gilberts knew a personal investigator who was able to get all your parents' travel history. There's no way he'll rule in their favor."

"Are you sure you don't want us to come with you?" Jeremy asked as he and Elena left the house.

"No, you guys should have fun at Volunteer Day." Mallorie waved to them. "Jenna thinks it'll go well. No need to throw your Saturday."

"Okay, call us as soon as you're done." Elena hugged them both before leaving.

The ride to the courthouse was short. Despite that, Mallorie felt like it took a hundred years. She wanted to be free. If it didn't go her way, she was stuck in with those people again.

As Mallorie stepped out of the car, Alaric and Matt stepped up to them.  Mallorie threw her arms around Matt. "What are you doing here?"

"Jenna said you needed a character witness." Matt hugged her back. "That and some moral support."

"Thanks, Mattycakes." Mallorie released him and nudged his arm with her elbow.

"And I'm here to do the same for Jenna." Alaric wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

"Let's not be late." Jenna pushed him forward.

Matt and Mallorie followed. The men had to leave them as they went through the swinging door to the plaintiff's table. Jenna and Mallorie took a seat with their lawyer. Mallorie began wringing her hands.

Jenna grabbed them. "We're going to win."

Mallorie looked at her foster parents at the defendant's table. "I hope so."

"Please rise for the honorable Judge Anderson," the bailiff said.

Mallorie rose on shaky legs and flattened out her skirt. When the judge's eyes landed on her, she felt like her heart sunk to her toes. He was a very strict-looking man. Mallorie feared the worst.

"You may be seated." Judge Anderson began looking over his papers. "We are here today to decide the custody of Ms. Mallorie Olivia Dupuis. Jenna Sommer wishes to secure adoptive custody while Leanne and Marcus Johnson seek to maintain foster parenthood. Mr. Forester, your opening statement."

Mallorie's lawyer rose, but Mallorie couldn't focus through most of the first few proceedings. After both lawyers spoke, Jenna brought her adoption certificate to the judge to prove she could adopt Mallorie. Once that was settled, Mallorie was allowed to plead her case. First, Matt was called to the stand.

"Mr. Donovan," Mr. Forester started. "How long have you known the plaintiff?"

"We met when child protective services picked us up when we were five." Matt fidgeted a little.

"And how well do you know Ms. Dupuis?" Mr. Forester asked.

"We've known each other ever since. She and I spent a lot of time together in school and outside of it." Matt's eyes settled on Mallorie. "We're as close as siblings."