I Can't Lose You

~Mallorie~

When she woke up the next day, Mallorie couldn't help the panic swelling in her throat. Today was going to be the day. With Damon's words last night, Mallorie still felt a small bit of doubt. What if he was right and Elijah was giving her up to the slaughter?

No. She had made a decision, and she was going to stick with it. After showering and changing her clothes, Mallorie headed down to the kitchen to get some breakfast. 

"Good morning, Mallorie," Elijah said from the library.

"Morning." Mallorie continued into the kitchen. 

Elena prepped coffee and tea while Stefan cooked up some eggs and bacon. Mallorie pulled a crispy piece of bacon off the plate Stefan was putting them on. After one bite, Mallorie's stomach curdled. Anxiety wasn't going to let her eat today. With a mug full of tea, Mallorie joined Elijah in the library.

"Tonight's the full moon," Elijah said. "We should assume Klaus is going to try to break the curse."

"And if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid." Mallorie sighed and took a sip of her tea.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie," Damon said as he descended the stairs.

"I don't want her to die. Breaking the curse first is the only guarantee," Mallorie shot daggers at Damon.

"I'll write her a great eulogy," Damon shrugged as he took a spot behind the couch Mallorie sat on.

Mallorie ignored him. "So, how do we break the curse?"

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know," Elijah said.

"Right. The moonstone," Mallorie said.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each," Elijah explained.

"How do I fit into it?" Mallorie asked.

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah grabbed a wooden box that he had placed on the table behind him. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death."

Mallorie took a deep breath. She felt Damon's hand on her back as he rubbed it to console her. "That's where you come in."

Elijah opened the box and removed a jar from it. "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So, I'm going to die?" Mallorie asked.

"Only for a brief minute. Then you will come back," Elijah said.

"That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" Damon scoffed as he walked around the couch to face Mallorie. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans. The doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work," Mallorie explained. "Trust me, Damon, I've tried to think of a way out."

"I'll take those odds over your elixir. What if it doesn't work, Mallorie?" Damon asked.

"Then I guess I die." Mallorie glared.

Exasperated, Damon looked at Mallorie then to Elijah then back at Mallorie before he stomped out into the parlor.

"Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?" Mallorie asked.