You Can't Handle the Truth

"Isobel?" Mallorie asked.

Jenna turned toward Mallorie. Her mouth hung open in shock.

"Hello, Mallorie," Isobel spoke calmly. "It's nice to see you again."

"Again?" Jenna's tone held pain and frustration.

Mallorie's mouth moved, but she couldn't force any words out. Nothing about this situation felt real.

"So you're the woman who's dating my husband." Isobel looked Jenna up and down. "I need to speak to Mallorie. May I come in?"

"N-n-no." Mallorie got her mouth work as she approached the door. "Don't--don't let her in."

"I need to talk to you, Mallorie." Isobel's composure was beginning to crack.

"No!" Mallorie slammed the door in Isobel's face.

As soon as the door was shut, Mallorie turned to Jenna. Tears trickled down Jenna's face. A pit formed in Mallorie's stomach. She never wanted to hurt Jenna.

"You knew she was alive? Elena? Ric? John? Did they know?" Jenna's pain was expressing itself as anger.

"I can explain everything, Jenna." Warm droplets escaped Mallorie's eyes as well.

"No." Jenna turned and headed for the stairs.

"No, Jenna, please. Please, wait. Jenna, please." Mallorie begged as she followed her to her room.

Jenna shut and locked the door, cutting Mallorie off. No matter how hard she tried, Mallorie couldn't get through.

"Jenna, please talk to me." Mallorie wiped her eyes. "I-I need to explain what's going on. Please."

There was no response. More tears leaked from Mallorie's eyes. There was nothing she could do.

A knock at the door brought Mallorie back to the present. She sucked in a deep breath, dried her cheeks, and raced down the stairs.

Mallorie ripped the front door open. "What?"

"Mal?" Matt stood in front of her. His cheeks were wet, and he sniffles profusely. Blood coated the collar of his shirt.

"Matt! Are you okay?" Mallorie touched his shirt.

Matt pushed her away. "Stop."

"Mattycakes, what's going on?" Mallorie pulled the door shut as she stepped out of the house.

"I need to know...how long have you known?" Matt's face contorted in rage.

"What are you--"

"How long have you known Caroline is a vampire?" Matt shouted.

Panic swelled in Mallorie's chest. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't lie to me, Mal." Matt growled. "I know how close you are. Are you one, too?"

"I'm going to be honest." Mallorie swallowed hard. "I'm not a vampire. I've known about Caroline since she turned. Remember when she was in the hospital? That's when one attacked her."

"What about Bonnie?" Matt seemed to calm slightly.

"Bonnie isn't a vampire either," Mallorie said.

"Did Caroline kill Vicki?" Matt began to cry again.

Mallorie felt fresh tears on her cheeks. "No, it wasn't Caroline."

"Was she killed by a vampire?" Matt asked.

Mallorie took a deep breath. "Yes, but Matt, Vicki was a vampire."

Matt took a step back. "What?"

"She was bit that night at the party. She turned shortly after, and she didn't adjust well." Mallorie swallowed hard. "She tried to kill me and Jeremy, so another vampire stopped her."