Not a Murder Mystery

"What?" Rose stared at Mallorie with wide eyes.

"Oh my God!" Alice looked at Mallorie. "I knew I recognized you."

"Just get him the message, please." Mallorie turned on her heel and walked out of the room. 

Along the way, she heard footsteps behind her. As soon as she entered the kitchen, she rubbed her temples. Rose followed her. Mallorie turned slowly to face her.

"What are you doing?" Fear was painted across Rose's face.

Mallorie crossed her arms. "I'm getting Klaus's attention."

"If Klaus knows you're alive, he'll find you and kill you." Rose's voice was hard as stone. They exchanged a long stare. "Which is exactly what you wanted all along."

"It's either me or my family." Mallorie frowned. 

Rose's eyes softened. "So this whole charade is some suicide mission so that you could sacrifice yourself and save everyone else?"

Before Mallorie could reply, Alice joined them in the kitchen. "Cody is on his way, and he really wants to meet you."

Mallorie glanced over at Rose. Her eyes had snapped shut, and she took a deep breath. Seeing as she wasn't going to give any support, Mallorie looked back to Alice. 

"Thank you for contacting him." Mallorie moved out of the kitchen. "Is there anything I should know about him?"

*****

Once Alice had told Mallorie everything she knew about Cody, Mallorie took some time to think for herself. She stared out the window Rose had opened. If she had been fond of it, maybe Mallorie could find something here, too. As she stared at her reflection, she noticed another one slowly joining hers. To her horror, it was Elijah. Mallorie whipped around to find the room empty.

After a glance at the empty window pane, Mallorie moved back into the kitchen to get some water. Her hand shook as she took the glass from the cupboard. Hopefully, this brash decision would pay off. There was no way Mallorie was letting anyone else get hurt or die in place of her. If it was her they wanted, the originals could have her.

With renewed confidence, Mallorie marched back into the living room. Rose had been distant--physically and mentally--this whole time. She leaned against one of the walls paying no attention to the other girls. 

As Mallorie took swigs from the glass, Alice stared behind her toward the entrance. Mallorie lowered the cup and whirled around. She couldn't stop the gasp that escaped her lips even though she recognized the face staring back at her.

"What are you doing here?" Damon's brows slanted downward with anger.

"What are you doing here?" Mallorie asked. Rose carefully stepped into the entryway, and Mallorie shot her a glare. "You called him?"

"I'm sorry, Mallorie." Though her tone didn't hold any sympathy.

"You said that you understood." Mallorie felt as though a thousand knives had plunged not only into her back but also into her heart.

"She lied," Damon's cold voice said.

Mallorie turned back to him, but Alice spoke before she could. "Damon Salvatore."

Damon's eyes narrowed at Rose. "Get rid of her."

"No...way." It wasn't indignation in her voice; it was astonishment.

Mallorie didn't turn, but she heard two pairs of footsteps receding into the apartment. Though he didn't speak for several seconds, Mallorie could see the wheels turning behind his eyes. There were a million things he wanted to say, but he was choosing carefully what to say at this moment.