A Birthday and a Death Day

~ Mallorie ~

Even with a pretty dress on, fancy makeup, and a cute haircut, Mallorie didn't want to face the people downstairs. The only caveat that was going to make the night liveable was the fact that it was actually Elena's birthday. No one would notice if Mallorie slipped out early, which she planned on doing.

A knock sounded at her door. "Caroline, just five more minutes." Mallorie turned to see Damon leaning against the door jamb. "Sorry, Caroline has been pestering us all day. I need a break."

"It's alright." Damon walked up behind her. "How ya feeling?"

"Do you want the truth or the answer I'm going to give to everyone else?" Mallorie looked back into her vanity mirror as she felt tears well in her eyes.

Damon took a seat on the end of her bench. "That bad, huh?"

"Don't worry. I'm not going to lose it tonight." Mallorie dabbed the corner of her eye with a tissue.

"It's your party. You can cry if you want to." Damon's ridiculousness caused a smile to spread across Mallorie's cheeks. "I got you something." Damon reached into his pocket. "I know I promised not to buy you anything, so don't worry. I didn't buy it."

"You stole it?" Mallorie couldn't believe his nerve.

"Easy." Damon held up a hand. "I didn't steal it. I found it."

He produced a small jewelry box from his pocket, and Mallorie grew skeptical. How could he find something that deserved a jewelry box? As he cracked the box open, Mallorie recognized the purple pendant suspended on a familiar silver chain.

"My necklace?" Mallorie asked as her fingers ran over the back of the pendant feeling for the faint dent. "I thought I'd never get it back after Katherine stole it. Where did you find it?"

"Ric found it in his loft. Thought you'd appreciate it back." Damon smiled. Nothing would top this gift for the rest of time. "Turn around. I'll put it on."

As Mallorie turned, she lifted her dark locks out of the way so he had easy access. Damon hesitated for a moment. Mallorie watched him in the mirror as he strung the necklace around her throat. Once it was clasped in place, he took another second. The whole time, his eyes were trained on her shoulders where goosebumps had risen from his touch.

"Mallorie, come on. People are here." Caroline burst in, ruining the moment.

"Coming." Mallorie dropped her hair. When she turned, she wrapped her arms around Damon. "Thank you."

"Of course." Damon hugged her back.

As Mallorie pulled away from him, she couldn't help but look at his lips. They were always so kissable. Why were they always so kissable?

"Shall we?" Damon offered an arm to her.

~ Damon ~

Mallorie rolled her eyes but took his arm anyway. They walked out of Mallorie's room and down the stairs to the parlor. Along the way, people greeted her and complimented the party. As they rounded the corner into the parlor, Mallorie's eyes widened before a sour look covered her face.

"Caroline said this would be small." Mallorie crossed her arms.

Damon noticed a girl walking away with a bottle of his top-shelf liquor. He grabbed the neck of the bottle as she passed and compelled her. "You don't want that. You want the cheap young stuff over by the cheap young people."

The girl let go of the bottle. When Damon turned back around, Mallorie was having a heated discussion with Caroline. Damon took it as his cue to leave.