Welcome to the Masquerade

Mallorie stood there staring at the open door and touching the spot where Damon's lips had been.

"Hello?" Elena asked from Mallorie's phone.

"Hey, Elena. Sorry." Mallorie lifted the phone and closed the door.

"What's up?" Elena's nose sounded stuffy.

"Oh my God, is Jenna okay?" Mallorie raked her hand through her hair.

"Yeah, she got lucky. She should make a full recovery. I texted you," Elena said.

"Okay, then why are you crying?" Mallorie asked.

Elena sniffled. "I broke up with Stefan. Ric filled me in, and I think it's best for right now."

"Well, that makes my job easier. I was just calling to suggest you do so. I cut ties with Damon." Mallorie sank into the couch. "When's Jenna coming home?"

"Should be tomorrow. They want to keep her for observation." A door shut on Elena's end. "I'll see you when I get home, okay?"

"Yeah, sure." Mallorie hung up the phone.

After Elena got home, the girls talked long into the night. Ric brought Jeremy home and offered to stay with them. Though it was sweet, they convince him to keep an eye on Jenna.

The night was pretty uneventful. Mallorie woke up late the next morning and had finished getting around when Jenna was already on her way home. Matt helped her into the house and up to her room.

"Hey, Mattycakes. Long time no see." Mallorie ruffled his hair.

"Yeah, 'cause you're always with the Salvatores or Caroline." Matt frowned as he fixed his hair.

"Well, that's about to change. I'm not spending any more time with either of the Salvatore brothers." Mallorie felt her lips turn downward.

"Really?" Matt asked.

"Yep." Elena descended the stairs. "We've cut ourselves off."

"You going to the masquerade tonight?" Mallorie asked Matt.

"Yeah, how about you?" Matt looked between them.

Mallorie met Elena's sad gaze. "I am. Elena is going to stay here and take care of Jenna. Would you be my ride?"

"Uh, sure. Right now I need to go." Matt pointed at the door. "There's something I need to do."

"Okay?" Mallorie ushered him to the door. "Need any help?"

"No!" Matt nearly cut Mallorie off. "You can't know about it, but I've got to go."

"Well, have fun." Mallorie opened the door for him.

"See you at five-forty." Matt left.

Mallorie closed the door and looked at Elena. "That was weird, right?"

"Totally." Elena walked toward the kitchen. "Alaric's bringing some pizza by later."

"Okay, give me a shout when he's here." Mallorie opened the doors to the second living room. "I have to find something to wear."

"Feel free to steal anything from my closet." Elena hollered. "I can also do your hair!"

"Thanks." Mallorie closed the doors.

Ric arrived a little later with the pizza. When Mallorie came into the kitchen, Elena has already gathered a plate for her.

"I figured you'd want to eat in your room. You only have a few hours until Matt is here." Elena handed her the plate.