The Arrival

"Please sign here and here." Mr. Henry pointed to two spots on the housing contract as he handed Mallorie the pen.

"So this place is all yours? They just gave it to you?" Bonnie asked.

"For now." Mallorie sighed. "As sole owner, I'm the only one who can invite a certain type of people in here. If you know what I mean."

"Your own personal safe house?" Bonnie asked.

Mallorie nodded as she signed the last line. "That's the idea."

Bonnie looked around. "I wouldn't want to clean it."

Mallorie chuckled. "Is everything in order, Mr. Henry?"

"It looks complete to me." Mr. Henry packed his briefcase and walked toward the door.

"Thank you, Mr. Henry." Mallorie watched him leave.

Damon and Stefan waited outside the house. As Mallorie turned to go into the parlor, the boys crashed against the threshold. Mallorie turned back with an apologetic smile on her face.

"I'm sorry, I completely forgot." She looked at Stefan. "Would you like to come into my house?"

"I would love to." Stefan smirked at his brother as he stepped over the doorway, unhindered. "Thank you."

"What are we? Twelve?" Annoyance was clear in Damon's voice.

"Well, one of us is." Mallorie crossed her arms. "If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"

Damon scoffed. "No."

Mallorie frowned. "Seriously, Damon. My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?"

Damon sighed. "Yes, Mallorie. Sure."

"Then please come in." Mallorie stepped to the side. Bonnie appeared with Malloire's jacket as Damon walked into the parlor. "Thank you."

"Wait, where are you going?" Stefan asked.

"To school." Mallorie laughed. "Where else would I be going at 7:30 on a Monday morning?"

"Huh?" Stefan asked.

"No, no, no." Damon joined them in the foyer again. "We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it."

"Yeah, guys." Stefan nodded. "Klaus is out there. We know that."

"Right. But where? No one knows." Mallorie crossed her arms. "Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll be safe here, but I'm not going to be a prisoner."

"Your way, Mallorie." The look in Damon's eye told Mallorie that wasn't said out of obedience.

"Don't worry, I'm ready." Bonnie held up her hands. "If he shows his face, I can take him. I know how."

"The way I see it, next to Bonnie is the safest place I can be." Mallorie looped her arm through Bonnie's. "Come on."

They only got a few steps out the door before Stefan shouted that he was joining them.

*****

The drive to school was uneventful, as was the walk from the parking lot to first period. Mallorie slid into her seat with a smile on her face. Stefan sat directly beside her. Bonnie seated herself on the other side.

"See, Stefan, no worries." Mallorie grinned.

She snapped a picture of a flyer for the sixties dance and sent it to Damon. He quickly responded, "no." Mallorie showed it to Bonnie who nodded.