I Want Answers

As Mallorie was about to cross the road into her driveway, someone shouted her name. Mallorie wiped away some tears before she turned to see who was following her.

"Wait, please." Elena chased after her.

Mallorie sighed and walked toward Elena. When they met up, Elena quickly embraced her. Though she wanted to, Mallorie kept herself from crying.

"What happened?" Elena held Mallorie at arm's length. "We heard shouting and came downstairs to see you walking out."

"Just Damon being Damon." Mallorie rolled her eyes. "It's nothing I can't handle. I just needed some air."

"Alaric will be here soon. Will you be okay to go back inside?" Elena asked.

"As long as you don't leave me alone with him again, I'll survive." Mallorie tucked some hair behind her ear.

Elena gave her a weak smile. "I promise we won't."

As Elena spoke, a car pulled into the driveway. Mallorie walked inside while Elena stayed there to walk Ric into the house. Damon still looked angry as Mallorie entered the house again. She took a seat on the couch across from him.

"Ric is here," Mallorie said. "Elena is bringing him in."

"Great." Stefan smiled as he sat on the same couch as Mallorie.

After a few minutes of silence, the door opened. Damon practically jumped out of his seat. Mallorie shot a look at Stefan who shot his own back. Elena came and sat between them, which ended all nonverbal communication.

"Thanks for coming, Ric. Can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?" Damon grinned as if the whole conversation hadn't happened earlier.

Ric cleared his throat. "Elena mentioned you needed my help."

"Yeah, we were hoping you could shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan said as Ric sat on the opposite couch.

"Why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked.

"Well, you wouldn't." Damon leaned against the arm of the couch. "But your dead, not-dead vampire wife might."

"Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together." Elena shifted uncomfortably.

Stefan leaned forward. "You said that she had spent years researching this town."

Ric rubbed his chin. "Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls is rooted in folklores and legends but at the time I thought much of which was fiction."

Damon smiled again. "Like that amazing vampire story."

Mallorie shot him a glare. "Aside from vampires, what else?"

"The lycanthrope." Ric played with his ring.

"Wait, you mean werewolves?" Mallorie asked.

"No way. Impossible." Damon stood up. "Way too Lon Cheney."

Stefan looked up at his brother. "Is it?"

"I've been on this planet one hundred and sixty-some odd years, and never came across one." Damon raised his arms. "If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?"

"Why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked.

"Because the vervain didn't affect Mayor Lockwood on Founder's Day." Damon paced in the open space behind the couch.

"But the Gilbert device did," Mallorie said. "He was in the cellar with Damon."

"It also affected Tyler." Elena stared at her shoes. "That's how Caroline got in her accident."