A Day of Numerous Revelations

Mallorie walked across the Lockwoods grounds with Elijah by her side, trying to wrap her mind around everything he was telling her.

"So as you've seen, nothing can kill an Original," Elijah said. "Not Sun, not fire, not even a werewolf bite. Only the wood from one tree. A tree my family made sure burned."

Mallorie remembered the weapon Damon wanted to use. "That's where the white ash for the dagger comes from."

"Yes. The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the earth. Every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain the balance," Elijah explained.

Mallorie furrowed her brow. "So the Sun can't kill an Original. Why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the Sun and Moon curse?"

"Right. The curse of the sun and the moon. It's all so...biblical-sounding, don't you think?" Elijah smiled.

"What's so funny?" Mallorie asked.

"Klaus used to be quite the artist in our day. He used to make these sketches of Aztec people." Elijah shared.

"I don't understand." Mallorie frowned. "So Klaus drew the Aztec sketches about the curse?"

"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings, and any other culture or continent we felt like planting in it." Elijah gestured with his hand as if revealing some magnificent artwork.

"But why?" Mallorie asked.

"The easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelgänger or to get your hands on some long, lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout," Elijah said.

"So it's not Aztec at all?" Mallorie asked.

"The curse of the Sun and the Moon," Elijah paused as if looking for the right words. "...is fake. It doesn't exist." He started to walk away from Mallorie at a rather quick pace.

"What?!" Mallorie rushed after him.

"Klaus and I faked the sun and moon curse dating back over a thousand years," Elijah said when Mallorie finally caught up with him.

"That doesn't make sense." Mallorie shook her head. "If there's no curse--"

"There's a curse. Just not that one." Elijah interrupted. "The real one's much worse. It's a curse placed on Klaus."

"What are you talking about?" Mallorie asked.

"Klaus has been trying to break it for the last thousand years. And you are his only hope." Elijah pointed at her.

Mallorie heard her phone vibrating in Elijah's pocket but ignored it. "What's the curse?"

"Your phone will not stop its incessant buzzing. Answer it, please." Elijah pulled it from his pocket and extended it to her.

She rolled her eyes as she saw the name. "Stefan...what's wrong? No. No, no, no, no. Okay, I'll be right there." Mallorie looked at Elijah. "Klaus went after Jenna. I have to go to her."

Elijah's face remained serious. "I'm afraid that wasn't part of today's arrangement."

"She's my family, Elijah. I have to." Mallorie composed herself. "I'll be back. You have my word."

"That doesn't mean anything to me until you live up to it." Elijah looked at her with a glint behind his eye.

"Thank you." Mallorie sprinted to her car.

The entire drive to the Salvatore boarding house was terror-inducing. What had Klaus done? Was Jenna okay? Why did Stefan want to meet her there instead of the Gilbert house? Where were Elena and Jeremy? Were they safe?