Sorting Out Feelings

Damon sighed. "I don't want to get into this right now. We have a long ride ahead of us--"

"That's why I want to talk about it." Mallorie brushed her hair behind her ear. "You've been acting different today, and I'd like to know why."

Damon crossed his arms. "You aren't going to give this a rest are you?"

"Not until you answer me." Mallorie cocked a brow. "And I already know Katherine is locked in the tomb. I'm referring to what happened when you two were in the room with her."

"I tried to kill her, you got hurt, and we stopped until another witch came and broke the curse." Damon raised his brows and forced a grin. "You happy?"

Mallorie shook her head. "No, it doesn't explain why you're acting like this."

"Like what?" Damon growled.

"You're acting jealous," Mallorie said.

Damon scoffed. "Jealous of who?"

Mallorie took a deep breath. "Stefan."

Damon laughed and shook his head. "Why would I be jealous of Stefan?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." Mallorie gazed into his eyes. "Katherine always brings out the worst in you two. I need to know what she's done now."

Damon pinched the bridge of his nose. "Do we have to do this right now?"

"You're unbelievable. And you wonder why I don't want to be with you anymore." Mallorie turned to walk away, but Damon grabbed her arm.

"Hey, I did nothing wrong here." Damon let go of Mallorie's wrist.

"No, you never do anything wrong, because you're Damon." Mallorie shrugged. "Never mind the fact that you constantly behave like a child. I'm just trying to help you, but you won't help yourself."

Damon didn't reply, so Mallorie walked in the same direction Stefan had. All she wanted was to know what lie Katherine had fed him so she could reassure him that it was nothing. If he wanted to get back with her as much as he claimed to, he needed to learn how to express and talk about his emotions.

"Katherine said that Stefan was in love with you." Damon paused. "And he didn't deny it."

Mallorie slowly turned back to Damon. "I can promise you he loves Elena."

Damon stepped toward Mallorie. "Is it entirely impossible that he couldn't love you both?"

"No." Mallorie closed the distance between them. "But I can assure you it doesn't matter."

"Why's that?" Damon asked.

"Because I don't love him." Mallorie shook her head.

Damon smirked slightly. "Who do you love?"

Mallorie leaned close to him but stopped short of his lips. "Myself."

With that, she walked away from him. Mallorie smiled when she didn't hear Damon following her. This time, she had the upper hand. However, Damon quickly caught up to her as she made her way to the car.

"That wasn't nice." Damon wagged his finger at her.

"Well, you weren't very nice." Mallorie bumped him with her elbow. "Did I quell your nerves?"

"For now." Damon slung his arm around Mallorie's shoulders.

Mallorie picked his arm up by the thumb and took it off her shoulders. "How does Jenna not know I'm gone?"

"Well, Elena and Jeremy thought you had stayed with me after the dance last night, so they covered for you. Once I told them that wasn't the case, Ric took her out to dinner to distract from you not being home while we brought you back." Damon shrugged. "Elena didn't want her to worry with everything she's been through already."