How to Save a Life

"Damon! No!" Mallorie ran toward him as he hoisted the stake over Caroline's back.

Before he can plunge it down into her body, he yelled out and grabbed his head. The stake fell to the ground, and Mallorie kicked it away. She grabbed Caroline and pulled her away.

"Thanks, Bonnie," Mallorie said.

Bonnie came toward them and stepped between Caroline and Mallorie. Now, Damon would have two people to go through to get to her. Mallorie's eyes fell on the dead body of a boy in front of them. She recognized him. Carter played on the football team with Matt.

With a hard swallow, Mallorie turned to Bonnie. "We have to get her out of here."

Stefan and Elena arrived to see them. Elena ran to Caroline while Stefan placed himself in front of Mallorie. No one moved, but Bonnie gasped behind Mallorie.

"Is that Carter?" Elena asked.

"No, no. You didn't." Bonnie backed away from Caroline.

"Bonnie, she can't help it." Stefan didn't take his eyes off Damon.

Caroline reached out to Bonnie. As soon as their hands touched, Bonnie stiffened. With a quick jerk, Bonnie freed her hand from Caroline's. She stared at her for a second before running off.

"Elena, get her out of here." Mallorie stepped around Stefan.

"She will die," Damon called. "It's only a matter of time."

"Yeah, maybe so, but it's not gonna be tonight." Stefan turned and followed Elena.

As Mallorie did the same, Damon spoke quietly. "Oh, yeah, it is."

Damon grabbed the stake and rushed toward them. Mallorie stepped in front of him at the last second. He stopped. Though he tried to gently move her, Mallorie stayed put.

"She's my friend, Damon." Mallorie crossed her arms. "If you ever want a chance at receiving my forgiveness, you need to stop now."

Damon glanced back at Stefan, Elena, and Caroline before returning his eyes to Mallorie. "Whatever happens, it's on you."

Though she wanted to punch him in the face, Mallorie turned to follow Bonnie. She heard Damon vanish behind her. Elena and Stefan led Caroline inside. Bonnie returned and leaned over Carter's body.

"Hey, you okay?" Mallorie asked.

"I can't believe this is happening." Bonnie stared at Mallorie.

"I know. Katherine wanted to hurt us. She succeeded." Mallorie rubbed her forehead.

Before Bonnie could respond, Damon reappeared with a shovel. "Come on, don't pout about it. I got a body to bury."

Mallorie felt her blood boiling in her veins. Damon tossed the shovel next to Carter before approaching Mallorie. Though her chest was heaving, Damon stopped a few inches from her.

I guess he isn't afraid of getting punched.

"Thought you were calling the shots." Damon piercing blue eyes stared back at her. "No? Hm, that sucks buddy."

With a smirk, he turned away from her. He grabbed the shovel off the trailer and walked farther to find a spot to dig. Mallorie moved to follow him. As she reached for his arm, the shovel dropped out of his hand. He fell to his knees and gripped the sides of his head.

Mallorie spun to face Bonnie. "What are you doing?"

Damon fell to the ground. He crumpled into a ball. Mallorie stepped toward him as he groaned in pain. Water shot out of a hose beside her. Mallorie turned around again.