Tales of Trouble

Katherine took a seat leaning up against the wall as Mallorie crouched down to fill up a plastic shot glass with blood. Though Mallorie could feel her eyes on her the whole time, she didn't feel scared. Vampire abilities aside, Katherine wasn't much different than Mallorie. She was doing what she needed to survive in a cut-throat world.

With a stick, Mallorie pushed the cup to Katherine. It seemed like an effort to pick the cup up and drink from it. Once she did, Katherine's skin seemed to regain some natural color.

"You have the Petrova fire." Katherine panted.

Mallorie cocked a brow. "More blood?"

Katherine placed the cup on the ground. "It's a long story, Klaus and I. It goes all the way back to England, 1492 after I left Bulgaria. Or was thrown out."

Mallorie pulled the cup towards her with the stick, filled it, and pushed it back. "Thrown out?"

"My family, your true ancestors, they disowned me. My indiscretions were not tolerated at that time. I had a baby out of wedlock." Katherine's eyes widened. "The shame."

"It was kept secret?" Mallorie furrowed her brows.

"Mhmm." Katherine nodded. " My baby was given away. I was banished to England and I had to learn to adjust. So I quickly became English. It was there that I caught the eye of a nobleman named Klaus. I was taken with him at first until I found out what he was and what he wanted from me. And then I ran like hell."

"What did Klaus want?" Mallorie stood.

"The same thing he'll want from you." Katherine returned to a tired state. "He wants to break the curse."

Dots began to connect in Mallorie's mind. "By sacrificing the Petrova doppelgänger."

"He wanted to drain every single drop of blood from my body." Katherine frowned. 

Mallorie crouched again and slid Katherine another cup of blood. "What does the Petrova bloodline have to do with Klaus?"

"It's really tedious, but..." Katherine downed the blood and crushed the cup. "The curse was bound by the sacrifice of Petrova blood. Witches are crafty with their spells. The doppelgänger was created as a way to be able to undo the spell. Once the doppelgänger reappeared, the curse can be broken."

"So you ran before he killed you?" Mallorie sat and leaned against the opposite wall outside of the tomb.

"Something like that." Katherine looked off to her right as if she was going back to a memory. "Trevor, one of the men with Elijah and Klaus, suggested I visit a cabin to escape from their hunt. I met Rose there. I showed her the moonstone to prove my identity. She knew Klaus had the stone and what he planned to do. Rose didn't want to risk her own life. She locked me in a room so she could take me back to Klaus that night."

Mallorie shook her head. "But she never took you back, did she?"

Katherine's eye trained on Mallorie again. "No, but not because she had a change of heart."

"Then how did you escape?" Mallorie furrowed her brows.

"I stabbed myself." Katherine sighed. "I was no good to Klaus dead. But I didn't bleed out fast enough. Rose came to fetch me to take me back and healed me to save Trevor's life. Then Trevor came to help me escape. He was in love with me. While those two argued about what to do, I hung myself."

"You killed yourself?" Mallorie asked.

"Klaus needed a human doppelgänger.  As a vampire, I was no longer any use to him." Katherine almost smirked with pride.