scared to admit it (joey)

"hey, ______," monica said, opening the door to her apartment to see you fully as you stood there. you looked like you had been crying, causing her to pull you into her apartment. you wiped your eyes as you looked over at rachel and phoebe who were sitting on her couch, now turned to see you.

"are you okay?" phoebe asked, looking from monica, who shrugged her shoulders, back to you. 

"yeah, i, uh," you began, taking off your coat as you avoided their stares while taking a seat on the couch, next to rachel. the girls all joined in staring at you, waiting for you to say something. "you know what, nevermind. it's nothing," you told them as you looked down at your shoes.

"it's obviously something!" rachel said sweetly, rubbing your shoulder gently. 

"joey told me that he loved me," you spilled, still looking down at your shoes. 

the girls all sat there quietly as they heard a knock on the door. monica got up to answer it as phoebe and rachel sat there with you still, trying to figure out how that was a bad thing for you.

secretly, all the friends wanted you two together ever since you had both met. they assumed that you two would have dated so much sooner on, but other people kept getting in the way. when joey wasn't with someone, you were. when you weren't with someone, joey was. you two had both finally been single for a little while and they assumed that joey finally took the chance and told you how he really felt towards you.

"joey," she said, causing you to perk your head up as you tried to conceal the tears that were falling down your cheeks. "now really isn't a good time."

"i know she's here," he said. "i have to talk to her." 

monica looked back at you, seeing you nodding your head as you began to stand up. she let him in as he walked closer to you. he stood close to you, seeing your teary eyes as rachel and phoebe looked at you both. monica watched from the open doorway. 

"tell me if i did something wrong," he said to you, seeing you wipe away a tear as you smiled shyly up at him. 

"you didn't," you said, seeing his facial expression still nervous."i'm just scared to admit it, i  guess. i'm afraid of messing something up or of getting my heart broken again. i should be used to it by now." 

he gently grabbed your hand that was reaching up to wipe a falling tear as he held onto it. he didn't want to let it go.

"please, _____," he said, searching your eyes. 

"i, uh," you began, staring up at him as you finally said it. "i love you, too," you admitted as phoebe and rachel cheered. monica motioned chandler and ross to her apartment as they were coming up the stairs. when they got there, they saw the two of you as joey pressed his lips to yours. 

when he let go, you smiled up at him.

"i'm sorry i couldn't say it," you said softly. 

he nodded.

"i get it, ______. it's a scary thing to admit," he said, pressing a kiss to your forehead as you wrapped your arms around him, staying close to where you felt like you wouldn't have to ever let go.