80

Y/N's POV

Normally, my heart would've sunk immediately but knowing the situation Lauren was in, I didn't take it personal. I shook my head after catching a glimpse of Lauren choked up. "No, we're not." As if she were shocked, Lauren turned around with her lips parted and sorrow in her eyes. An immense amount of guilt flowed through my veins before I reassured her, rubbing her back out of Edna's sight.

Regardless of whether she knew what I meant or not, her cheeks deflated and soon she slightly pouted her lips before turning back to the waitress. "You're kidding. You two are just friends and act like that?" She pointed at Lauren, who was still leaning against me. We mutually pulled away from each other, out of instinct. "Yeah, sure. You're not fooling me"

Lauren facepalmed meanwhile I didn't know what to do. "Sorry Edna, it's just so new." In response to Lauren't statement, I nodded.

"Oh?" Edna's head tilted as she frowned. "This is new for you guys?-" She straightened her head back up then started nodding. "Actually, yeah. I can see it." Lauren smiled before leaning back into me. "I suppose that I need to keep this to myself?" I slowly nodded while puffing my cheeks. Lauren just shrugged.

"It's a sensitive topic" Lauren mumbled. My eyes wandered the room as I zoned out. When my eyes refocused, they were on the milkshake that Edna made us. I wanted to drink it but it had been sitting there for quite awhile.

"Well you girls are too cute" The woman patted the counter top with her hand as she stood up. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to start closing up the diner." The woman started opening up the cash register.

"It was nice to meet you," I assured her as Lauren stood up and grabbed my crutches for me as I waved to the woman.

The lady bowed her head back at me as I stood up with the help of my crutches. "You two, come back again. Okay?" The lady's sweet grin made me internally pout in awe. I looked at Lauren, asking for approval with the gaze and luckily, she broke into a smile and nodded before extending her arm out. Her palm was facing the ground, her crooked fingers on display. My gaze moved from her fingers to her eyes. Not knowing it was possible, I felt myself becoming even more soft than before. With no hesitation, I placed my hand in hers and interlaced her fingers with mine. As I waved goodbye to Edna, Lauren took the crutch that wasn't necessary for me to use and conveniently she was holding the hand that wasn't attached to the dependent side.

"Bye Edna!" Laur waved to the woman before we turned to walk out of the diner together.

The sky was practically black with the moon being the only source of natural light left in the sky. Sure, there were streetlights and such but it's not as beautiful as the transparent light with that tint of blue in it. Lauren took a second to adjust to the crutch. Luckily, we were basically the same height so she didn't have to change was notch she needed the crutch to be at. Quickly, I glanced down at my phone to check the time.

10:37

Shoot. Christina is close to whipping me into a new galaxy. There's an hour and 23 minutes left till she can do so though-

"You don't have to lie about us," Lauren sighed, staring forward. My eyes lifted from the concrete to her side profile. She wasn't looking at me but I could tell that she knew I was looking at her because her lip curled up into a sad smile then she looked down at the ground.

"You didn't want me to?" My voice was quiet as we started walking. "I only did it because I didn't know if you were comfortable-" My voice trailed. "It seemed like you wanted me to hide it..." Lauren's thumb rubbed circles on the back of my hand as she held her breath.