79

Lauren's POV

"I just realized that I've never asked you this before." My gaze went from my plate to hers

"Uh huh" She softly rested her fork against the edge of her plate as she chewed her fluffy slabs of now cooked batter. I took a quick sip of her shake before I got started. We're almost out.

"What do you want to do with your life?" Her chewing paused, as she stared at the tiny silver pitcher of maple syrup. "I mean like, a dream job I guess." Y/N started nodded and started chewing the pancakes in her mouth again.

Before she spoke up, she covered her mouth as she swallowed the food. "Well," She dropped the hand hovering over her lips onto the table.

Inevitably, my chin went up and down as I gave the girl an encouraging nod before I took into account that she didn't have to tell me anything. "You don't have to answer"

"Oh- no, it's all good" Y/N chuckled, reaching for her milkshake. Her index finger and thumb of her free hand landed on the straw as she leaned back in her chair. "I just don't really know what I wanna do.. Never came up"

"Well it's okay that you don't know" I leaned forward to be closer to her, my hand landing just above her knee as I squeezed it gently. "Do you have maybe..." Trying to find a good way to put it, I tilted my head and pulled my lips in.

"-an idea of what I want in life that doesn't involve work?.." The girl finished my thoughts, her glass sliding towards the center of the table. Mouthing 'yeah,' I nodded. "I want to love someone." She stared forward. "Be able to support my parents in the way they did- and still do for me the last 19 years." She smiled but it wasn't genuine. I could see sadness in her eyes before she wrapped her lips around the straw. "Speaking of which, I want to come out."

My gaze fell to my lap, completely forgetting that I'm dating a girl. My parents don't know I even like girls at this point. "Me too.." I blurted, staring into thin air. At first, I hadn't realized that I zoned out until I heard something land on the surface of the table.

Y/N and I both turned to the sound, seeing another milkshake in front of us, a hand attached to the glass cup. After following the hand up to the face of the figure, I saw the kind smile belonging to Edna. "We didn't order that." I pointed to the shake. Edna waved her hand as a form of telling me to stop talking.

"I noticed that you guys seemed to really enjoy that one, so I whipped up another in the back for you." She slid it across the table, inbetween my former online best friend and I. The youngest of our relationship started reaching into her pockets, in a frantic search.

"How much is it?" Y/N asked, her finger digging into the space between the fabric.

"Nonsense!" Edna shook her head. "It's on the house!" The older woman started backing up.

"Are you sure?" Y/N asked.

"Positive." The waitress firmly nodded. "Now you kids enjoy yourselves." Y/N lifted her hand up to refuse the free drink but Edna had already been halfway towards the kitchen.

"She's gonna make me cry" Y/N chuckled while cupping her cheeks in her hands, now pouting.

"For real!" My hand landed in the crease of one of her elbows. "She seems miserable inside"