40 | Somebody Else

Start from the beginning

I would be out of school and on my way to success before they even finished their first year of college. 

So I made two rules for myself when college starts. 

No parties. No dating. 

I wasn't wasting my time doing anything that wasn't studying. I was aiming for valedictorian, but that damn smart ass in AP Calculus beat me to it. His GPA was just a tenth of a point higher than mine. 

Jordan Greene. I hated that guy. 

It was between me, him, and a girl whose name I couldn't bother to remember. There were so many of us in this school. So I just had to settle with being the Salutatorian. 

"Hey, you!" I heard a voice shout from my doorway. Lily popped her head in, scaring the crap out of me. 

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" I shrieked. 

Lily just grinned at me and pulled me into a quick hug. "You ready yet? I'm surprised you didn't pack a month ago.

"I'm not that crazy," I muttered and zipped my suitcase up. 

"You aren't but I am," Lily chuckled. "I have an outfit picked out for each day, I was thinking business casual on the tour, a cute dress for dinner—"

Lily paused, her mind now lost in a haze. No doubt thinking of the millions of outfits she packed for two days. 

"Everything I packed is gray and white, so I don't have any worries about what to wear, everything is collared, ironed, and packed perfectly," I beamed. 

Lily just looked at me aghast. "You need to add some color to your life Elle! Maybe you'll meet someone there too!"

"I do not have time for boys," I insisted. "My grandmother has been very generous to have put a college fund away for me. I'm not going to ruin it by messing around."

Lily rolled her eyes. "Yes, your rules. No parties and no dating."

"Exactly," I chirped. 

"Seriously Elle, college is where you find yourself!" Lily exclaimed. "You need to get out and party, date a few people! You have all the time in the world to study, you can spare some time for fun."

"I already found myself in high school," I replied. "I'm quiet and studious. I have never done anything bad except get wasted at your party. Which I will never do again. I don't even remember that night at all."

"You were sure something," Lily chuckled. 

I shuddered in horror. The person they told me I was that night; I have no idea who that was. 

Dancing and yelling? I'll believe that. Grinding against random guys? I think Lily was seeing things. 

"Why isn't your boyfriend coming with us?" I asked, trying to divert her attention from fixating on my love life.

The two of them have been inseparable since they started dating. 

"Scott has made it clear he went back to school to watch over Zach, and after we graduate he refuses to do any more schooling," Lily chuckled. "So he figured he would stay behind while we all went."

"College isn't just more schooling," I protested. "It is where we get to take the first steps on what we want to do with our lives!"

I will definitely be having a talk with him. 

"Well he wants to be a brooding homebody, not everyone wants to go to college Elle," Lily put in. "Hell if I didn't need a degree to do what my mother does I wouldn't go. I hate school."