37 | Down the Rabbit Hole

Start from the beginning

Moving as carefully as I could to not wake her up, I reached over and looked at the screen. An interesting photo of Celesta with her eyes crossed flashed across it. 

Answering it, I started laughing. "You know she has a nice photo of you on here."

"What?" Celesta gawked. "Oh God, she still has that photo of me on the caller ID?"

"Yup," I replied and glanced down at Lily. "She's asleep right now, so I can take a message if you want." 

I learned to never wake that woman from a nap. 

"Well tell her that something is up with the coven, my father just left here in a hurry sounding pissed off," Celesta revealed. "He was hollering something about her parents and Francis, I just wanted to let you all know."

"Okay? Why do we need to know or care about that?" I questioned. 

"Because," Celesta stressed, "I just had a vision of someone coming to your house, I just couldn't see their face."

I felt my body turn cold; my eyes were now locked on the front door. 

"Scott?" I heard Celesta ask, though her voice was faint as I focused on listening outside the house.

I wiggled my way free from under Lily, trying my best to not wake her. 

"Hello?! Did you guys die?" I heard Celesta yell now.

"No!" I hissed, "I'm trying to listen and see if someone is outside."

 "Look I will head over there as soon as I can okay? I got to go, my mother is yelling for me downstairs," Celesta muttered and hung up.

Frowning, I put Lily's phone in my pocket and opened the front door. Peering out, the road was empty of cars, the only thing I noticed moving were the annoying gnats around the street lights. That and the crashing of the waves behind the house. 

I walked toward the end of the porch and looked over at the side of the house, still seeing nothing. I was starting to wonder if Celesta was hallucinating things because there was no one here except me and Lily who was snoring inside. 

I sped to the back of the house and headed past the dunes to where the beach was, it was empty of people too. Not many people ventured out on the beach after dark.

After that was a complete waste of time, I went back to the house. As I was coming around to the front, I heard Lily calling for me. And what I did next wasn't the best thought-out plan.

Because when I materialized right in front of her, trying to tell her I was right there, she instantly reacted and all I saw was a flash of glowing eyes before I was sent flying. 

I crashed through the railing of the porch, shattering it and I finally ended up in the bushes. I heard her run frantically over to me, the porch creaking as she did. 

I sat up slowly and looked at just how much damage that did to the railing. That entire section was practically gone. 

I saw her peer down at me, her face etched with panic. 

"I am so sorry!" Lily yelped, and quickly jumped down and started throwing the splintered wood off of me. 

I just stared at her, dumbfounded. I was shocked at how quickly she reacted. 

Lily glanced at me and grabbed both of my shoulders. "Are you okay? Please say something!"

"I am fine," I assured her. 

Lily just looked at me glumly. "Are you sure you are fine? Look at your leg."

I noticed that it did hurt slightly. One look told me it was dislocated from my knee.