Stress Baking - A. Russell

1,328 words

ik it's late but happy new year 🤍

* * * *

When you woke up, you felt good for some reason. The sun was shining and the air was cool. You had your favorite cereal for breakfast before going back to your room to continue reading a book for your book analysis assignment. You felt at peace and to make the story short, you felt well-rested. Sat on the vanity in your room, you peacefully read the chapter of the book your teacher assigned you to read. It was going well when your mother decided to ruin it. She walked in your room and said, "Honey, we're going to the Lancaster's for dinner. You better get yourself ready. I want you to impress the Lancaster boys. Maybe you'll date one of 'em."

"Why? What's the occasion?" You asked. Last time you checked, there was nothing special happening.

"Just do what I tell 'ya, alright? I'm heading to work now. Be ready at 6." Your mother said sternly and left your room, closing the door behind her. Your morning was now officially ruined and so is your night. You grabbed the nearest object, a hair brush, and threw it at your door.

You huffed and placed a bookmark on the page before closing the book. You stood up from your seat and not bothered to pick up your brush. You walked past it, opened your door and went straight to the kitchen.

When you got there, you took out all of your baking supplies and started baking different food. You just kept baking to relieve stress and when you were finally done, you took a step back to look at everything on the kitchen counter (which was overflowing with so many baked goods).

You didn't know how it happened, but somehow you were able to bake 20 muffins, 7 cakes, 10 cupcakes, and 40 cookies. Finally realizing that you baked too many and that you're now out of baking supplies, you quickly grabbed a few tupperwares and put the baked goods in it. After that, you washed everything that was on the sink and threw away all the empty baking ingredients that you used.

You grabbed one cake and three tupperwares that you put in one big paper bag before taking your house keys and leaving. You locked the door and began walking to the Russell's. You and Emma would exchange food all the time, but this time it was different because she didn't know you were coming over with food in hand.

You walked up to their front porch and knocked on the door. You waited patiently and looked at your surroundings. The house was old and one of the wood on the porch seemed faulty; like it could break any time. The whole place was cozy, though and the wind chime made a calming noise that easily changed your mood for some reason. The door opened only to reveal Arvin.

You've never officially met him and he wasn't home whenever you would come over. Emma showed you a picture of him when he was 9, but she never showed you recent pictures of him. She only told you stories about him and he's the only other guy in the house aside from uncle Earskell.

You smiled at him and said, "Oh, hello there! I assume that you're Arvin Russell. I'm Y/N and I live next door. I'm sorry for barging here like this, but is Emma home?"

"No." He shook his head and opened the door wider before leaning on the door frame. "She went to the shop with Lenora."

"Oh, I see." You nodded. "Well, can you tell her I dropped by?"

"Sure." He said and gave you a tight-lipped smile.

You handed him the plate of cake and the paper bag and you giggled at his confused reaction. "Forgive me for the treats. I know it's a lot. You see, I'm a stress baker and my mama ruined my morning, so I took it out on baking. I ended up baking 20 muffins, 7 cakes, 10 cupcakes and 40 cookies. It's really silly of me, but once I start baking, I don't stop. I just keep goin'." You laughed, causing him to genuinely smile.

"These all look delicious. Thank you." Arvin said and caught a whiff of the cake. "They smell delicious too."

"Thanks." You said shyly. "There's 6 muffins in there and 5 cupcakes and 25 cookies. I sure hope y'all would like it."

"I assure you that we would." Arvin said politely, already excited to get himself a slice of cake. "Would you like to come in?"

You smiled and shook your head, "I'd love to, but I have to take a bath and get dressed. My mama told me that we'd have dinner with the Lancasters."

"Oh." Arvin frowned, thinking that you were probably dating one of the Lancaster boys.

"I hate it, but I have no choice." You said sadly. "Anyway, I'll g-"

"Wait right here." Arvin quickly went inside the house to drop off your baked delicacies in the kitchen. He grabbed a candy bar and went back to you. "I ain't got no talent for cooking or baking or some shit, but I feel like I have to give you something in return." He handed you a Charleston Chew. You looked at it and smiled, "You don't have to. It's probably your favorite."

"It actually is." Arvin chuckled and put the candy bar in his back pocket. "How about I take you out on a date, then?"

"I'd like that." You grinned. "Does Friday at 3PM sound good?"

"Yeah, I'll see you then." He smiled.

"Pick me up at exactly 3." You winked and left. He stood there as he watched you walk back to your house. Arvin wasn't really excited for anything. In fact, the last time he felt excitement was when his parents were still around. So, he was surprised and happy to be feeling that emotion again.

About 45 minutes after you left, Emman and Lenora came back from their trip to the shop. They were both surprised to see a lot of food on the table that most definitely weren't cooked by Emma. Arvin chimed in and said, "They were from Y/N. She told me that she baked a lot and she gave us some."

"That was awfully generous of her." Emma smiled as she set down the things she bought from the shop. "I better make her something, then."

"You can make her something tomorrow. She's doing something tonight." Arvin said.

"How do you know that?" Lenora asked with a smug look on her face.

"She told me." He shrugged with a boyish grin. "I'll go take a nap."

"I thought you already did?" Lenora asked.

"Something came up." Arvin said as he went to his room. He glanced at the calendar on the way there and hoped that Friday would come quick. Knowing that he'd see you again on Friday, made him smile and made his heart flutter. No other girl made him feel that way except you and because of that, he knew you were the one.

He knew he stopped praying to the Lord years ago, but as soon as he went in his room he looked up at the cross that was there and prayed. He didn't ask for anything. He just thanked the Lord for blessing him by meeting you. He promised the Lord that he'd protect you and love you the way you deserve to be loved.

"...I'll do everything to keep her by my side, Lord. I'll start prayin' again just for that to happen. She's an angel and I can't believe she lives next door. I sure hope it goes well on Friday because I'd love to take her on multiple dates, ask her to be mine and then years from now, ask her to marry me. I know you can make that happen and for the first time in years, I trust you. Amen."

* * * *

if you're not religious or if you don't believe in God, im sorry for ending the one shot with a prayer. it just fits the story. i hope i didn't offend anyone. have a good day/night 🤍