favorite crime - a. russell

Requested? Nah.
1,008 words

* * * *

He wasn't good.

Your guts were telling you that something was off about him, but you shrugged it off even though you knew that your guts have never been wrong before. He had an angelic face, a beautiful smile, and he had hair that looked so soft. He looked glowing and whenever the sun shined through the windows of the library, the color of his eyes would pop, making it more obvious. He was beautiful, and he still is.

You didn't know what it was, but something about him was pulling you towards him. The second he glanced your way and smiled, you were a goner. You were screwed and you knew it. You hated that he had such an effect on you, but you loved it at the same time. It was confusing. He asked you out after meeting for the first time and you immediately agreed. One date became two and quickly, he asked you to be his girlfriend. It was all so fast.

Your friends sensed that he was bad for you because he was so quiet and he seemed super aware of his surroundings as if he was Spider-Man or something. Your friends didn't like the fact that he started attaching himself to you like a leech. If you went out with your friends, he was closeby. Your friends kept begging you not to tell Arvin where you're going, but somehow he would always find out. It was creepy, but you told your friends that he was just worried.

One by one, your friends left you because they couldn't handle being around you anymore. You were blinded by your adoration for Arvin that you didn't see what your friends were talking about.

You told yourself that you were happy and you were. Truly. It was getting tiring, though. Arvin would always snoop around your phone and he would be extremely jealous. It drove all of your friends and acquaintances away. All you had left was Arvin and you literally had no choice, but to stick with him.

After dating for one month, he told you about the mob business and he promised he wouldn't do anything to hurt you. Little do you know, that would change in time.

In your second month, he introduced you to his parents and they seemed to like you. You liked them too and despite being scared of his father, you liked him because he was respectful and decent. His mother, Charlotte, was such a doll and she always made sure you were alright.

In the same month, Arvin told you to stop working. You worked at the library for extra money to go to college. Arvin assured you that he'd take care of you and that you didn't need college. You disobeyed and went to college anyway. But it only lasted for a few weeks.

You eventually gave in and stopped going to college and stopped working. You lived with him in The Hamptons and you were still getting used to it. The Russell Mansion was big. It wasn't ideal for starting a family because of its very large size, but it was home. You dreamed of starting a family with him one day and that was coming sooner than you think.

Your relationship with Arvin started being sexual on the fourth month and it seemed as though you and him would have sex a lot. Sure, it was fun, but you missed having something real with him. Arvin loved you, he did. He just felt like the relationship was boring. You didn't know he felt that way, so you just went along with whatever he wanted. You silenced yourself on purpose even though you knew you could always talk to him.

Six months in the relationship and Arvin proposed all of a sudden. It was a small ceremony and you were ecstatic to start the rest of your life.

Then you got pregnant and it was definitely a surprise. You and Arvin weren't expecting any child so soon, but he was excited and so were you.

Hayden Russell is the light of your life and he was such a blessing to you and Arvin. You were a stay at home mom and you loved every second of it. Hayden started consuming all your time and as much as Arvin loved his son, he wanted to spend time with you. It annoyed Arvin that you weren't paying attention to him anymore and that you were always too tired to even see him.

When Hayden turned one, Arvin bought a big apartment on the Upper East Side, so that he wouldn't grow up around mob related things. You didn't want to move, but Arvin insisted. He was already stressed with some guy named George and you didn't want to anger him more. You always thought that he would leave you and you didn't want that. So, you complied.

You don't know when it started or how it started, but whenever Arvin came home, he smelled different, he smelled like a woman's perfume. Then he started coming home less and less until he decided it was better for him to live in the mansion than your apartment. It stung because you had a feeling you knew the reason, but you denied it. You always denied and you always cried about it.

This went on for years and when Hayden turned six, you decided enough was enough. You needed to hire a nanny, so that you could be with Arvin more.

He wasn't good. He drove your friends away. He clung onto you until he no longer did. He got jealous all the time and he would snoop on your phone without your permission. He controlled you and you followed whatever he said because you think it would make him happy and stay. Arvin was not as innocent as you thought. He was a criminal who you hated because of what he unknowingly did to your life, but for some fucked up reason you loved it. He was your favorite crime. 

* * * *

the sequel to this story is: the life of a mobster's wife