1 step forward, 3 steps back - p. parker

2,643 words
w: angst lmao, curse words, toxicity
italics are flashbacks, the one in bold is a letter
again, sorry for the delay

* * * *

The ringing was all you could hear on the phone as you waited for Peter to answer his phone. You haven't seen him for a while because it was summer and you were on vacation with your family. You and Peter didn't really have an official relationship, but you were sort of together. There was no label because he didn't want one and maybe that should've been a sign for you to leave, but you stayed. To you, it was exciting and new.

"Hello?" Peter answered.

"Hi, Pete!" You smiled upon hearing his voice. "I missed you so much, you have no idea. I wish you were here with me, but-"

"Y/N, what did I say about calling me in the morning?!" He hissed. It was then that you realized you had different time zones and it was six in the morning for Peter. His voice was raspy and hoarse.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot. You can go back to sleep." You bit your lip, feeling guilty. You knew he had a lot on his plate and you knew that he barely had any rest.

"Damn, right I'll fucking go back to sleep." Peter muttered. You heard a bit of rustling and you figured he was finding a comfortable position to sleep. "I'll sleep now."

"Okay. I'm sorry again. I'll call-"

"Just fuckin' text me." Peter said as his eyes closed.

"Alright. I lo-" You didn't get to finish because Peter immediately hung up and you took the phone off your ear and stared at it.

You were so confused and at this point, you weren't sure about where you stood with him. He said that you were funny, but sometimes when you crack jokes he doesn't laugh. Instead, he scoffs and changes the topic. He always makes you feel so uncool, but one time at school, he seemed so amazed at everything you did. He said you were fun and he loved going to parties with you, but other times, he says that you're boring and asks why you're always staying in. You knew that you didn't need him for validation, but for some odd reason, you needed it from him. For you, his opinions mattered.

Peter's opinions about everything mattered so much to you; how you looked, how you dressed, how you acted, everything. Everyone who had eyes could see how fucked up it was. You hated it, but you loved it at the same time. Sometimes you don't know how to act around him and you feel like you're always walking on eggshells around him just to keep him from getting mad. But you knew that no matter what happens, he'll always be mad at you for some reason.

When you got back from your vacation in Europe, you just finished getting your luggage and on the way to the exit, there stood Peter with a huge smile on his face. You smiled and let go of your luggage to run to him. You hugged him and he hugged you tightly.

"How did you know I was coming home today?" You asked him after pulling away. He smiled at you, "I asked your mom." He tucked a strand of your hair behind your ear and kissed your forehead. "I missed you so much! Also, you look really good! Europe did you well." He added.

"Thank you." You smiled at him. Your family caught up with both of you and your mom smiled at the sight of you two together.

"Hello, Peter! It's nice to see you." Your mom smiled. "Will you be coming with us? We're going home to rest."

Peter nodded, "I will. I'll help Y/N unpack." He looked at you and flashed you his pretty smile. All of you took a cab to go home and you sat next to Peter with your head on his shoulder. Your hands were intertwined with each other as you looked out the window. You missed New York even if you weren't gone that long.