Michael Jackson (III) - H. Osterfield

Requested? Nah.
1,497 words
Based on Michael Jackson quotes. The one in bold is the quote.
RIP Michael 🤍

* * * *

"I honestly don't know why I agreed to do this." You chuckled awkwardly as you sat across from Harrison. You haven't seen him in a while, actually. Sure, you've known about his success, but you haven't seen him in nearly four years. You really didn't expect to be making a video with him during CoVID season. Safety precautions were taken, of course.

He gave you a small smile and you waved at him. Harry decided to create a small series on his YouTube channel called "Things I Never Asked You" and you and Harrison were the stars of his first episode. Harry lied to you and said that he wanted you to star in a short film and you felt betrayed when you got there. Harrison knew about the project and he was the one who suggested that you and him could do the first episode.

You didn't have the heart to say no to Harry because you knew he worked hard. It was only fair to be a team player and do your part. That's why you're here now.

When you arrived, Harry made you and Harrison go into separate rooms and write down questions you never got to ask on index cards. So when you sat down, you had your index cards on your lap as he was reading his.

"Ready?" Harry asked from behind the camera and both of you gave him a thumbs up. Tom was also there, watching.

Harry signalled that the camera was rolling and both of you introduced yourselves and said the name of the series.

"Who'll go first?" You asked with a shy chuckle. "I know nothing."

"I'll go first." Harrison volunteered and you nodded. Your hands were sweating and your heart was beating fast. You were really nervous.

"I'll start off easy, don't worry." Harrison chuckled. "How's life?"

You smiled, "Life is great, actually. I've been writing songs and I'm writing a picture book for children which is one of my dreams and I'm really glad it's happening."

"I'm happy for you." He said genuinely and you said a small 'thank you'. You looked at him and said, "My turn: how's your love life?"

"My love life is great! She's amazing and she's sweet." He answered and you nodded. "I know you well enough to know that there's a follow up question." He chuckled lightly and you smiled.

"You're right, Osterfield." You said softly with a small smile. "Follow up question: Is she the one you've been looking for?"

You stared at each other for a while knowing that, that was his reason for breaking up with you. He said that he realized you weren't the one he's been looking for. You just wanted to ask him if he finally found it.

He nodded, "Yes, I think so. We haven't been together that long, but I can see our relationship progressing."

You didn't say anything else. He cleared his throat, "How do you feel whenever you see my face on social media knowing that we had history together?"

"Oof, wow. Um, I'm happy because I'm proud of you. I'm immensely proud of you. But at the same time, I'm also really sad because I end up reminiscing." You told him.

"And because I got to ask two questions a while ago, you can ask another one." You added. "It's only fair."

"Alright. Have you been able to move on properly?" He asked and you didn't trust your voice to speak. You just shook your head and he nodded. That was enough for him.

"Did you ever miss me after our breakup?" You asked.

"I did. We were together for a long time and I can't really forget about you after being with you for so long. But as days went by, I didn't miss you anymore. You were just a memory, a good memory." He said in honesty.