Proud of You - H. Osterfield

Requested? Nah
1,300 words
Jerk!Haz, Y/C = Your Country

* * * *

You and Harrison were both very busy people. He's an actor and you were preparing for Miss Universe. You never got to see each other, but somehow luck was on your side when you and Harrison had the same day off. Both of you decided to go on a date at a fancy restaurant because it's been so long since you've done that.

You were both eating and talking when suddenly you brought up the Miss Universe topic not knowing that it would tick him off.

"You know, when I'm already Miss Universe, we can't be together all the time, right? Also, our relationship should be lowkey and not broadcasted to the world." You mentioned.

Harrison's jaw clenched before he said, "So what am I supposed to do? Do you even love me?"

"Of course, I do." You told him and reached for his hand on the table. Your thumb rubbed the top of his hand, hoping it would somehow calm him down. He kind of has a temper.

"If I can't even show you off, why do you want to continue? You think that's more important than our relationship?" He asked you. Your jaw dropped in shock as you slowly retracted your hand from his.

"How could you ask me that?" You asked with a hurt look on your face.

"Just choose one. Is it me or that stupid pageant? If you pick me, we can forget that this conversation ever happened and quit the pageant. If you choose the pageant, it was nice knowing you."

"Are you giving me an ultimatum?" You were gobsmacked. Harrison just shrugged as he continued eating. You thought about it for a while and when you made a conclusion in your head, you took a sip of your wine and cleared your throat.

"I pick the stupid pageant." You said and his eyes were wide in surprise. "You're welcome to watch the show and see me. I'll even save you a seat. If you come, I forgive you and we can still be together. If you don't come, I still forgive you anyway and it'll be clear to me that what we have is officially over."

"Don't tire yourself because we're officially over now." He said as he took out his wallet, taking out some bills and putting it on the table. "Enjoy your dinner." He said before standing up and leaving.

You watched him walk away and you just shrugged and stayed put. Your focus was on the pageant and not on Harrison. It was more important.

-

Today's the day of the pageant and you were extremely nervous. You were already halfway through the event and they were already about to announce who gets to be on the Top 5.

You weren't paying attention, actually. You just kept clapping whenever you heard clapping. Four countries were already called and your nerves were eating you alive. Just then, your country was called last.

You were shocked and everyone around you was encouraging you to go in front. You did as you were told and you smiled at everyone as you walked to where the four ladies were standing.

It was now time for the first round of Q&A. If you get a spot in the top 3, there'd be another round of Q&A. You were extremely nervous, but you didn't let it show. You wanted to focus.

The ladies before you did very well in answering the questions. Two of them needed translators and you just wished that the translator was able to get the ladies' point across.

It was now your turn and you picked a number. "Number 5." You said as you looked for the judge assigned to you. She seemed like a kind lady.

"Good evening. My question for you is, if you have to choose between your lover and being Miss Universe, which would you pick and why?"

Damn. That hit home.

The host handed you a mic and you smiled, "Good evening, everyone! If I have to choose between a lover and being Miss Universe, I would pick being Miss Universe because lovers come and go, but being Miss Universe can only happen once in my life and it rarely happens to anyone. If my lover really loved me, they would understand my reasons and they wouldn't let me pick. Love has no limitations and if my lover tells me that they'll stop loving me once I join this pageant, they're clearly not the one for me. If someone loves you, they'll support and love you no matter what. Thank you."

You gave the mic back to the host before walking back to your place. "Thank you, Ms. Y/C!" The host said.

You smiled and internally calmed yourself down.

Unbeknownst to you, Harrison was there with Tom. They were both watching you live and Tom gave Harrison the side eye when you answered. They both knew it was sort of a dig at him and Harrison knew he deserved it after being an ass.

"If she gets in the top three, it's partly the reason of your break up." Tom joked. "If your break up didn't happen, she wouldn't have an answer for that question."

"Shut up, Tom." Harrison groaned.

Just then, it was now time to announce the top three. Two countries were already called and there were three of you left. They needed another country on the list and you were certain that you weren't going to be called because you felt like your answer wasn't up to their standards.

But you were surprised when they called you again and you were so grateful that you were able to make it this far. You walked to the two ladies and you smiled at them both.

The second round of Q&A started and you knew you'd be the last to answer the question. So, you focused this time; only thinking about the pageant.

When it was your turn, the same question was asked to you: "How will you use your platform to encourage the youth?"

"Today's youth have troubled mental health and it's a problem that needs to be solved. With my platform, I can help those who have deteriorating mental health and I can also educate people who have no knowledge about it. With this in mind, I want to encourage the youth to help each other by lifting each other up and not tearing each other down to make ourselves feel or look better. The world can be a beautiful place if we do our part and take care of our mental health. The world will even be more beautiful if we all reach out to one another and say that they matter and the world will be different without them in it. Thank you." You smiled and everyone cheered before walking back to your place.

The things after that were all a blur and next thing you knew, you're being crowned as the new Miss Universe. You were so shocked and you were tearing up as you did your first walk as Miss Universe.

You looked at the seat that you reserved for Harrison and your face fell when you saw that it was empty. You quickly changed your facial expression, hoping that no one noticed. You waved and smiled at everyone as they cheered and took pictures.

Tom and Harrison were sitting far from the seat you reserved and they were clapping.

"She won. What're you going to do now?" Tom asked as he looked at Harrison.

"Nothing. She has duties to fulfill. I'd just be a distraction. Besides, if we're meant to be, love will find a way. For now, she should enjoy her life. She wanted this for so long." Harrison smiled as he clapped for you.