The Best Day - H. Osterfield

Pairing: Single Dad!Haz x Step mom!Reader
Requested? Nah.
2,572 words
Happy Mother's Day to all x

Italics are flashbacks, bold is Christine singing, and [ ] is a 'video'.

* * * *

When Harrison had his daughter, his first born, he never would've thought that his life was going to change. Suddenly his life was colorful and filled with laughter. Sure, it was hectic, but he loved every second of it. As if it wasn't enough, he was blessed with a son five years later. His life was perfect.

As far as good things go, bad things happen. Harrison's partner suddenly left. They weren't married, but it seemed that way. They lived together and they've been together for a long time, but after their son's second birthday, she decided she didn't want to 'play house' anymore. It hurt him, but he knew he had to be strong for his kids.

Three years later, he met you. He was scared that his kids would scare you off, but it was the opposite. He watched as you tried to interact with them and he saw how his kids didn't warm up to you. He frowned, but he knew that in time, they'll like you.

Christine, his thirteen-year-old daughter, didn't seem very fond of you. Meanwhile his eight-year-old son, Ethan, was the opposite. You two would get ice cream together and he'd always kiss your cheek whenever he'd see you. He was also the only person excited when Harrison told them that you'd move in with them.

You could still remember Christine being so mad about it. She was glaring at you and you told her, "I know I'm not your mom and I'm not trying to be her, but I want you to know that I'm here for you. I love your father and I love you guys too. No matter how mad you are at me, I won't leave."

And you didn't. Harrison proposed to you after being together for three years. You both knew that you both were meant for each other and you knew it was going to be hard because you felt like Christine will never get used to you being around, but you were proved wrong when the day of your wedding came.

You got married on Mother's Day and yours and Harrison's mom absolutely cried so much because they claimed that it was the best gift they've ever received. Everyone at the reception was busy eating when the host, Tom, started talking again.

"Hi, everyone! I'm sorry to interrupt." Tom chuckled. "But someone wanted to take this time to give their 'special gift'." He looked at Christine with a smile and waved her over to where he was standing.

"What's she doing?" Harrison whispered in your ear and you just shrugged. You both watched as Tom adjusted the mic to Christine's height and Harrison could see the fear on his daughter's face, but when he smiled at her, her fears disappeared and she calmed down.

"I, uh, I want to say Happy Mother's Day to everyone here." Christine said nervously as she played with her fingers. "Most of all, I want to say Happy Mother's Day to my dad because ever since mom left, he's been acting as a mother and a father to me and Ethan. I also want to greet Y/N a Happy Mother's Day too because she's pretty cool for taking care of us when daddy's busy." She added as she looked at you with an innocent look on her face.

"I, uh, I have something prepared for both of you. It's my wedding gift. I've been taking secret singing and guitar lessons for this." She mentioned before looking behind her to see Tom lending her his guitar.

Tom stood back with Ethan and Christine started playing a familiar tune, "I dedicate this song to my dad and Y/N." Then she began to sing.

I'm five years old, it's getting cold, I've got my big coat on

I hear your laugh and look up smiling at you, I run and run

Past the pumpkin patch and the tractor rides