The Life of A Mobster's Wife - A. Russell

Mob!Arvin x Reader (Modern AU)
Requested? Nah
9,818 words (pls send feedback bc this is the longest mob fic i've done and i want to know if it's alright or if i should just leave the mob au alone sksk)
W: asshole!arvin, doesn't follow canon, curse words, killing, cheating, so many fucked up shit

* * * *

Being married to a mobster wasn't easy. Everything has to be kept under wraps whilst having a lavish lifestyle. But when you're young, you're naive and you think that everything will work out and you'll live happily ever after like some Disney fairytale. Everyone seems to forget that Disney princess stories were adapted from the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen. You didn't know that your life would take such a dark turn the moment you met Arvin. The second he smiled at you, you were a goner. You were hooked on him; addicted. Everything should've been a red flag and the people around you told you that something about him seemed off. That should have alarmed you, but you took what they said personally. One by one, they all left you and only Arvin was left by your side. That should have been a sign too.

You told yourself that you'd be happy and you were. You were together for six months and then you got married. Now, six years later, you have a son who just turned six and a husband who doesn't even sleep in the same bed as you anymore. You didn't know what went wrong, but everything suddenly changed.

Arvin made sure you and your son were away from him, so he bought a big apartment in the Upper East Side for both of you. Arvin would stay there sometimes, but most of the time, he was working; killing, kidnapping people for ransom, selling weapons, selling drugs, etc. He wanted you away from those especially, Hayden; your son.

You wanted for things to change because Hayden hardly ever sees Arvin and they don't have a connection. You also wanted another baby and you felt like Arvin was too busy for that. Wanting to focus on your husband, you decided it was best to hire a nanny to attend to your son's needs. However, it was difficult to look for a nanny when you're keeping everything a secret. You were lucky enough to hire a personal doctor.

Amelia Avery Hudson is a trauma surgeon, but you hired her as your personal doctor to treat your husband and his men if they have wounds. The other doctors you asked turned down your offer. When you asked Amelia, she immediately agreed. Amelia didn't really have a choice. She applied because she needed to pay her student loans back. Plus, she needed to keep a roof over her head and rent was expensive in New York. She's a fresh graduate and she had trouble finding a job that fitted her career path. Your offer was perfect and she saw it just in time. She hoped that no one took the job yet and luck was on her side because she's been your personal doctor ever since.

Amelia's only there during the evening from 7PM until 12 midnight. Having signed an NDA, she had no one to tell about the things she's seen. She knew that if she even tried, Arvin would somehow find out and kill her with no mercy. She didn't want to risk it.

Amelia's feisty, but she was nice. The poor girl had a terrible life. She kept moving from one foster home to another when she was younger. Because of that, she grew up strong. She's a remarkable woman and you were glad that you met her. You weren't close, but you had a good relationship with her. Sometimes, she'd entertain Hayden which meant a lot to you.

You put up a poster for the nanny position and a few applicants were interested. You looked through their resumes and interviewed them one by one. Out of everyone, only one person stood out. Her name was Celeste.

"Tell me more about yourself, Celeste." You smiled at her. You didn't feel comfortable interviewing people in your apartment, so you always made sure the interviewees met you in your favorite restaurant in the upper east side.

"I-I'm Celeste Regina Dela Cruz. Eighteen years old. Um-"

"I know those things." You laughed. "It's on your resume. Just loosen up and tell me about yourself. Would it make you more comfortable if I went first?"