Mad Hatter - S. Holland

2.5k words

* * * *

"Hello, Sam." The psychiatrist greeted with a smile. Sam looked at her and only gave her a nod. "Is there any reason why you're here today, Sam? A little birdie told me you needed some help. What happened?"

Sam looked at her with fear in his eyes as tears clouded his vision. He shakes his head and whimpered, "I'm not crazy. I'm normal! I swear, I am! I'm not crazy, but she is."

"No one's saying you're crazy." The psychiatrist smiled. She had a kind face and she was mother-like. The job suited her because her voice is calm and soothing. "Who is she?"

Sam closed his eyes as vivid flashbacks replayed on his mind. It flashed in his mind like it was being played on a projector and he was the only audience. He took a deep breath and said, "She lived two streets away..."

Sam never really went out a lot, but when he would go out, he'd stay out all day. The rest of the family wouldn't question him as long as he got home safe and sound and unharmed. When he received a bike from his uncle, he thought it'd be best to try it out. After all, it's been years since he rode a bike and this way, he'd be saving the Earth from pollution if he biked to work instead.

He popped his earphones on and got on his new bike and pedalled. He had no destination in mind and he was confident that he wouldn't get lost because he grew up in the area and he knew a lot of places like this back of his hand. It was safe to say that he trusted himself and that was important.

He went through a few turns until he reached the other street. There wasn't much to see, but he waved at a few of the neighbors he knew. When he turned again, he reached another street. It was at this time when he figured that he should go home. Instead of going back the way he came, he just biked straight ahead. He can't possibly get lost. The streets have names and he knew what his street was and he knew how to get there from different ways.

He eyed at some of the house and inwardly judged at which house he liked best when suddenly he saw an abandoned house. He stopped in front of it and realized that not only was it abandoned, but it was also ruined.

The windows were no longer there and there were shards of glass on the ground. There was no grass and the steps of the front porch were broken. The second floor of the house was nonexistent, but two pillars were there. The walls on the ground floor were destroyed and it looked like the whole place was burned down.

Sam was in shock. He had never seen a house like that before. What he failed to notice was a girl about his age emerging from the bushes that had no leaves anymore.

"Hi there!" The girl grinned. Sam didn't want to comment about her fashion sense and the way she grinned, so he gave her a small smile and said hello.

The girl moved and stood next to Sam as they faced the ruined house together. No one said anything for a while, but the girl broke it.

"What a shame." The girl said. She was dressed in quite fancy yet eccentric clothing. She even had a fancy hat and laced gloves on her hands. She was wearing socks on top of her boots as well; another thing Sam failed to notice.

"Yeah, a shame indeed." Sam nodded. "D'you know the person who lived here?" The girl nodded. Sam asked, "Who lived here?"

"Me." The girl giggled. "I burned this place down because I'm having a party."

"I'm sorry. WHAT?" Sam shrieked. He's never met anyone who would burn the whole place down.

The girl laughed, "All this for a party. How extravagant!"