The Package - H. Holland

Requested? Nah
1,583 words
Heavily inspired by Key and Peele.

* * * *

Harry was in his office bored out of his mind. He was sipping around in his office chair while throwing his stress ball up in the air and catching it repeatedly. The young CEO hated his job despite the multiple and grand benefits that came along with the job. He hated that his brothers Tom and Sam were allowed to decline the offer when their father asked them if they could take over the family business. Tom declined it because he wanted to focus more on the carpentry side of the business. Sam declined because it wasn't his passion; he wanted to be a chef. But Harry was never asked about what he wanted. His father told him that he's the heir of the company. With that being said, Harry hated it and he resented his brothers and father for it.

He loved them dearly, though. He knew that no one else would take over and Paddy was far too young to be a CEO. Harry just unwillingly took his fate as his father retired. Now that he's seated on 'the throne', as everyone in the office called it, he felt powerful but at the same time he felt judged by the people who work for him because they were all older than him and most of them saw him and his brothers grow up. It was awkward.

Harry stopped spinning around his chair and heavily sighed before grabbing his phone to play games on it. There was nothing better to do and it was a slow day. All the shipments were done yesterday, all the forms were signed before lunch, no meetings until next month, and no new applicants to take up the job of being his assistant. His last assistant, Margaret, was his dad's assistant. Harry loved Margaret like a family member, but she was too old, so he allowed her to retire.

The game on his phone started to become boring and with a sigh, he exited the game and went on Facebook to see anything new about the people he went to school with. He loved, for lack of better term, tea. He loved spilling tea and he loved being told tea. He and Sam bonded over it.

Just as Harry was reading a post about his former schoolmate being involved in a scandal with one of his former teachers, his office telephone rang. Without an assistant, Harry was forced to answer calls without knowing who it was on lines 1, 2, and 3.

"Hello, this is Harry Holland of Holland Industries. Who am I speaking to?" Harry asked. At this point, it was engraved in his mind now. He knew what to say and what not to say.

"Hi, Harry! This is Y/N Y/L/N. I'm calling from Master Travel Incorporated to tell you about an exciting limited-time offer, exclusive getaway to the Philippines. Can I have a few moments of your time to tell you about this new package?" Your tone of voice matched the exciting offer you asked, but it wasn't enough to entice Harry. He didn't even know where that pine place was.

"You know, Y/N, I would love to, but I just don't have the time-"

Upon hearing that, you immediately hung up the phone. Harry stopped talking and looked at the phone with furrowed eyebrows.

"Huh, rude." Harry muttered under his breath as he put the phone in its place. He grabbed his phone and continued reading about his schoolmate, but he couldn't shake off the rude thing you just did. He sighed to himself and grabbed the phone, somehow directing the call to you, and waited for you to pick up.

Your telephone rang and you answered on the first ring, "This is Y/N Y/L/N, Master Travel Incorporated. How may I be of service?"

"Hi, Y/N Y/L/N. My name is Harry. I think we just spoke not too long ago." Harry said as he fiddled with a pen that was on his desk. "Did we just get disconnected?"

"Um, yeah. I hung up on you." You said blatantly.

Harry raised his eyebrows upon hearing your answer and asked, "Why? Like, why would you do that? Are you allowed to do that? Because that was rude, Y/N. I'll tell you that."