The Gift of Family - H. Holland

5,170 words
Merry Christmas xx

* * * *

Harry felt so free. He just turned 18 and he was able to move out of his parents' house and live on his own. The apartment building looked old, but it was home. His first ever home where he's alone. Everyone was supportive of him, of course. They always knew he was independent.

He felt homesick from time to time, but that was normal. The apartment next to his was empty and it kind of saddened him that no one was living there. The rest of the units were taken, but they were all older than Harry. In short, it was difficult to make friends with people because the people there were either divorcee's or really busy people who work at offices. He was on the young side.

Because of that situation, you could picture his excitement when he saw a moving truck outside his apartment building. Harry smiled excitedly and silently prayed that the person moving in was the same age as him and that they were moving in the apartment unit next to his. Otherwise, he'd be lonely in that building.

Well, he wasn't totally lonely. Every morning Mrs. Johnson would smile at him when they get their mail together and sometimes invite him inside her apartment for tea and they'd talk about their families. She was a lovely old woman. Mr. Bradley would knock on Harry's door from time to time to ask if he could babysit his son in case the babysitter cancelled. Then of course there's Rick 'The Maverick' Nelson. He insisted that Harry should call him maverick. A maverick is a noun and it means an unorthodox or an independent-minded person which is totally the opposite of Rick 'The Maverick' Nelson. He's a divorcee and every weekend, his 8 year old daughter would come over. Harry didn't really care about the kid going there, but what he did care about was the fact that Rick would always drink. It made him worry about the 8 year old. So whenever the 8 year old kid was around, Harry would give her a few sweets and sometimes would take her to the park nearby (with Rick's permission, of course).

As soon as Harry arrived on his floor, he was ecstatic to see a girl around his age bringing in the last box in the now occupied apartment. Harry knew he had to introduce himself because he finally had someone his age to talk to. He was truly happy!

He decided that he should look for something in his house to give to you, so he rushed inside his apartment and immediately looked for something. A pan? No, Sam uses it whenever he visits. Body lotion? He uses it because of his skin care routine. Cologne? He only has one. A house plant? His mum would be upset if he gave his one and only house plant away. Harry settled for a box of pizza. He called and thirty minutes later, the pizza was delivered to his door. He fixed his hair one last time and left his apartment to knock on the apartment next door.

The door opened and Harry smiled, "Hi, I'm Harry! I live next door. I bought you some pizza as a welcome gift." He handed the pizza to you despite your awkward smile.

"Um, thanks." You said as he handed the pizza to you. Both of you just stood there for a minute. He was just looking at you all giggly and smiley, but you were looking elsewhere, avoiding his gaze. "Well, uh, thanks for the pizza." You told him with a tight-lipped smile.

"You're welcome!" Harry grinned.

"Okay... you can go now." You said, backing up a bit, getting ready to get inside and close the door.

"I'm actually not busy. I could help you unpack or something." Harry said. He was desperate.

"That's okay. I don't have a lot of things, anyway." You shrugged off.

"But there was a moving truck awhile ago." Harry pointed out.

"Believe it or not, when I got here, someone was moving out. Hence, the moving truck. I only got here in an Uber with four boxes and a foldable mattress." You awkwardly chuckled. Harry blushed in embarrassment and said, "Oh, I see."