Shame on You Part 1

This was requested on tumblr as I'm doing seven days of requests over there

Enjoy!

It was one of those insults that flew past your head. An insult not personally directed at you but severe enough to hit home. You didn't really believe that Ruben meant it the way you perceived it. Nevertheless, he made you feel terrible about yourself.

You had just been on a lovely double date with Ruben's friend Bernardo and his wife Ines. Dinner had been great, not to mention delicious. The waiter returned to your table, asking if you wanted to see the dessert manu or receive the check right away.

"I'm good. Thank you." Said Bernardo, but looked to his girlfriend.

Ines declined with a shake of her head. "I'm full. The food was so delicious though. Y/N, how about you? Would you care for some dessert?"

"I actually....."

"We'll just take the check, please." Ruben said. You frowned, however the waiter ran you the bill, handing it over to Ruben who payed for dinner. It wasn't until later, when the two of you got back home that you asked Ruben why he had cut you off like that, in front of Bernardo and Ines, who you were sure to have noticed your furrowed reaction.

"What do you mean?" Ruben said, removing his coat and stepping into the kitchen, grabbing something to drink.

"You totally cut me off when the waiter asked if I wanted dessert."

"Well did you?" He said, grabbing some leftover green juice from this morning. He poured himself a glass and offered to pour you one too.

"No thanks." You muttered.

"What?" He chuckled. "Did I do something wrong?"

"You cut me off, that's what you did."

"Okay, well I'm sorry if I did. I just assumed that you wouldn't want to have any dessert since no one else at the table was having it."

"And what if I wanted dessert, what then?" You did not plan on fighting with Ruben tonight, however something about what he did really upset you.

"What do you mean?"

"What if I wanted to have dessert, would you've let me ordered it?"

"Let you?" Ruben frowned.

"Yes."

He seemed confused but did his best to cooperate with you, however it only made things worse.

"Y/N, why do I care if you have dessert or not. I just assumed that you didn't want any since Ines wasn't having any."

"Aha!" You exclaimed, to Ruben's sheer suprise. "I knew it. I knew that you were comparing me to Ines, and if she wasn't having any dessert you weren't gonna let me have any either."

"Y/N." Ruben sighed. "I think you're just reading too much into things. Besides, suger is bad for you. It's a good thing if you stopped having so much of it."

"What's that's supposed to mean?" Something tightened within you. A knot, tying your lungs together, making it harder for you to breathe.

Ruben shrugged. "I'm just saying, Y/N. Just lay of the sugar, what's so hard about that?"

What's so hard about that? That night you couldn't help but to let Ruben's words echo through your head, digging up insecurities you didn't think you had. Nevertheless, they were there, the damage of his words already done. You were changed forever.