Lost in Sardinia Part 2

Summary - Ruben is on a getaway in Sardinia. There he meets a girl named Fiorella. She starts to wonder why Ruben won't tell her what exactly he is getting away from, or even what his real name is.

Enjoy!

"Fiorella please let me cut your hair. Why won't you let me cut your hair?"

"Nonna, I like my hair the way it is."

She had agreed to go to the party, agreed to wear a dress, but cutting her hair, that's where Fiorella drew the line.

"But it's too long and it smells like..." Nonna bent down to sniff her head. She grimaced. "Sophia!"

She called for back up.

"Yes?"

Fiorella's big sister Sophia poked her head through the bathroom door.

"Come smell Fiorella's hair."

"Nonna, please." Fiorella sighed.

Her sister entered the bathroom, bending down to smell her hair. She pulled back just as quickly as she had bent forward. "Eww, why does it smell like that?"

"Like what?"

"Your head, it smells like...like fish."

"Told you!" Nonna exclaimed. "That's what happens when you run down to the docks everyday. You want to be like a fish, well now you smell like one."

"Nonna." Fiorella gasped.

Her sister threw her head back with laughter.

"It's the truth, no?"

"Fine, I'll wash it, but that'll be it."

Fiorella couldn't contain her excitement as she helped prepare for her sister Chiara's welcome home party. Chiara had been studying abroad and was finally returning for her grand wedding. It had been too long since the sisters had spent quality time together, and Fiorella was eager to catch up.

Amidst the joy, Fiorella felt a twinge of resentment towards her family. They had always expected her to find love and settle down like Chiara. It seemed that everywhere she turned, they would drop not-so-subtle hints, setting her up with potential suitors in the hopes of nudging her towards a relationship.

Nonna, in particular, took it upon herself to play matchmaker at the party. Eager to see her beloved granddaughter find happiness, she had arranged for several contenders to attend the celebration, all unknowingly vying for Fiorella's affection.

Fiorella's heart sank at the thought of going through another evening of pretending to be interested in strangers. She longed for a connection as deep and genuine as the one she saw between her sister and her soon-to-be husband, Enzo.

"You look..."

"Don't say it."

"Beautiful. You look beautiful Fiorella."

"Thanks Chiara. But your the one that looks amazing."

Her sister wore a pink dress that complemented her skin. Chiara always carried herself so elegantly. She was the only family member with straight hair and ocean colored eyes. "A gift sent from above." Nonna would call her.

To people who didn't know her family, Fiorella would explain that, Chiara was the smart one, Sophia the dumb one and Dino her favorite. Fiorella herself, didn't always feel like she belonged. Her family had so many relatives that it was easy to get lost in the crowd.

"So, how does it feel to be getting married soon?" Fiorella asked, as the two of them had a chance to catch up while refilling their plates at the buffet table.