Friends With Benefits Part 4

Summary - Reader and Ruben have been in a friends with benefits situation for over three years now, with Reader eventually looking for something more serious. But what does Ruben want?

Enjoy!

"So what's Joshua up to?" Your friend Tina asked, as the two of you stood folding the newest collection of sweaters.

"My boyfriend?" You blushed.

After months of recollection to get back on track with your life, you were determined to put your past behind you and focus on your career at Ralph Lauren. Your colleagues even noticed the change in you and with each passing day you found yourself becoming more dedicated and committed to your job. You were always the first to arrive and the last to leave. You poured all your energy into creating exquisite displays and styling customers, making sure they walked out of the store feeling confident and satisfied.

As your career soared, so did your love life. You met Joshua, a kind and charming man who appreciated your passion for fashion. You shared an instant connection, and you found yourself falling for him. Your relationship was filled with laughter, support, and encouragement, serving as a stark contrast to the toxic dynamic you had experienced with Ruben.

"He's actually in town, looking for an apartment to rent."

"He's not staying with you?"

You shook your head. "Not yet. But I don't think it will be long before he does."

"Wow, so you and Ruben are really over?"

"Yes." You were quick to answer, ignoring the sudden jolt of your heart.

"Good for you."

Tina left you with the pile of sweaters to deal with a new client that just entered the shop. All though she was right that you and Ruben were truly over, you didn't care to mention the many text messages he still sent you, and how you read them all but never replied.

Ruben: I miss you. Let's meet up and talk soon, okay?

Ruben: Y/N, is there anyway I can fix what happened between us?

Ruben: Y/N, you up?

The messages would flood in during all hours of the day. Your theory for this was that Ruben would have his moments of weakness and think of you at random. In reality he probably had plenty of other women lining up outside of his bedroom door.

"Y/N, a little help please?"

You had been daydreaming, folding sweaters mechanically, when Tina came back, looking flushed and in need of your assistance.

"What's going on?" You frowned.

"You'll see." She said and practically pulled you with her to the front of the shop. There he stood....

"Ruben?"

After having been on your mind seconds ago.

"Y/N! I thought that this was where you worked." He grinned, that familiar grin of his, that you've worked so hard to forget.

"What are you doing here?" You frowned.

Tina hit you in the arm.

You winced. "Ouch."

"He's a costumer, Y/N."

She gave you a stern look, indicating that you should be treating Ruben like any other costumer.

"Of course." You said, bowing your head apologetically.

"I hope I didn't come in a bad time?" He said.