The Birthday Gift

Wishing @nofeelingstilldeath a very happy birthday. Today, July 14th is one of my lovlies birthday, this fic is for you baby!!

Have a nice day and enjoy!

How sad it was having to work on your birthday. Luckily your boyfriend, Ruben, came to pick you up once your shift ended.

"So what do you want to do?" He asked. You had already celbreated a little bit before you left for work this morning. Ruben made you breakfast in bed this and let you open his present, a charm braclet with a golden key as it's first charm.

"Well they made me this at worked." You showed him the bag of pastries you got from your colleagues. They made a wide selection of pastries for you to enjoy on your birthday. "Maybe we could find a nice place to enjoy them, just the two of us?"

"Sure. I know a place we can go."

You weren't too keen on parties where you were supposed to be the center of attention. Ruben was the same. He enjoyed peace and quiet and you two often spend your days together snuggled up on the couch, watching a marathon of movies. It wasn't much, but it was how you liked it. Just you and Ruben, in your own little bubble.

"What's this place?"

He had driven a bit outside of the city, to a little town with a big lake in the middle of it.

"I come here sometimes to relax." He said, parking the car on a hill that overlooked the small houses and the lake that sparkled in the sun.

"Hmm. A bit random don't you think?" You brought out the bag of pastries and picked the one you wanted to eat first. Ruben was a bit more hesitant, perhaps not wanting to make such a mess in his car.

"You don't like it?"

"The view?"

"No, the town." He said, with a strange look on his face.

"I dunno? What so special about it?"

To you it looked like a typical english town with houses covered in red tile rooftops, a town center, a local school and plenty of green agriculture surrounding the area.

"I thought it'd be a great place to live someday."

"You want to live here?" You chuckled.

"Yeah, what's so funny about that?" He sounded a bit offended by your reaction.

"Nothing baby, but you of all people rather live here than in Manchester or Portugal of all places?"

"Yes. It's a great place for us to live. It's close to Manchester and..."

"Us?" You stopped him there, unsure if you heard him right.

Ruben looked to bite his tongue.

"You said us, right? Or was I mistaken?"

He turned to you with a serious expression on his face.

"Ruben, what's the matter?"

His eyes searched your face, perhaps unsure if he should tell you or not.

"Ruben please, you're kind of freaking me out." You chuckled.

"Promise not to do that."

"Do what?" You had to tilt your head as his eyes had diverged from yours. "Ruben please tell me what's going on?" You had never seen him like this, so anxious and easily agitated.

"What I'm about to show you..." He said. "Just promise me that you won't freak out."

"I won't. I promise."

He sighed and turned the keys to start the car. You were off for a silent drive through the little town, not stopping until you arrived at a small community of houses.

"We have to walk from here." He said, silencing the engine, unbuckling his belt. You did the same and followed him.

He held your hand leading you through the lovely neighborhood with a beautiful set up of houses. However there was this particular house that still looked like it was under construction. To your surprise Ruben stopped just in front of that one, searching his pocket for a key which he handed to you.

"Happy Birthday." He said, but not with as much energy as this morning.

"You bought me a house?"

"Yes. I bought you a house." He said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Ruben, but why?" You turned to look at him, unsure of what to say. You had so not expected this.

"I dunno." He shrugged. "Because I love you."

You leap forwards, hugging him. "I love you too, but I could never afford to buy you a house. It's too much Ruben." Tears had begun to flow, but mostly because anyone surprising you with such a gift would make you emotional.

"Do you want to take a look inside?" Ruben looked down on you, smiling.

You perked up to kiss his lips. "Yes, let's go inside."

It was a castle compared to any place you've lived in before. There was a giant porch with an equally giant backyard. Ruben even showed you a blueprint of the plans to build a pool out there.

"Ruben, this house is too big for just the two of us." This is what he had meant by "us." The house would be a home for the two of you to share.

"I know." He said. "But by the time the house is done maybe it won't be just the two of us anymore?"

You froze, a ray of butterflies entering your stomach. "You mean...?"

Ruben shrugged. You two stood in the middle of what would be the living room and it was almost impossible not to imagine little feet running across the wooden floors, making a mess of things as children often did.

"You want to have children with me?" You failed to hold in another flood of tears. Ruben closed the distance between you, grabbing your hand and kneeling down before you. "It would be your choice of course. Just like it is my choice to ask you to marry me."

"Ruben."

You watched him pull out the little black jewelry box out of his back pocket. He pulled the diamond ring out of the box, ready to dress it on your finger, but first he needed to hear the words that would allow him to do so.

You nodded your head and weeped. "Yes Ruben. Of course I will marry you!"

He put the ring on your finger, rose to his feet and picked you up, twirling you around in his arms. Your eyes were filled with tears and it felt like you could go on crying forever. He set your feet back down to look at you. "I love you." He said, in the same way he always did, but this time it was like he spoke directly to your heart, your heart that belonged to him now.

"I love you too." You cried. "...and this gift, the best birthday gift I could have ever received."