Send-Off- Matthew Joy (In the Heart of the Sea)

𝔰𝔪𝔲𝔱 𝔴𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤

Y/N sighed as she sat on her front porch, staring off into the horizon. The sun was setting, thus ending the last day she had with her husband, Matthew Joy, before he set off to sea again on another whaling expedition. She was barely holding herself together, although she didn't know why. She had sent him off dozens of times, and he always came back. But what if...

No. She couldn't think like that. It would only drive her insane.

Y/N heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Matthew, who was also staring off into the horizon. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" he asked her.

Y/N gazed solemnly up at him. "Yes, I suppose it is."

Matthew's eyes flicked to her and he smiled. "Don't be sad, darling! I'll be back before you know it." When Y/N stayed silent, he reached out and tilted her chin up to look at him. "I always am."

"Because for some damn reason, luck is always on your side," Y/N muttered spitefully. She wasn't mad at him, but at the sea. For some reason, a reason which she'd never understand, Matthew was always drawn to it. And someday, the sea would finally take him away from her.

"Fortune favours me because I gave up drinking. I won my fight against alcohol, and so whatever Gods may be watching over us have blessed me," Matthew assured her.

Y/N avoided eye contact. "Yet what happens when they turn their backs on you, hm?" She exhaled frustratedly. "Why couldn't you have gotten a job like bartending? The only thing you have to worry about there are raging drunks, which are still better than the raging waves of the sea."

"We go through this every time I have to leave." Matthew chuckled. "I know you are worried for me, but you needn't be. I will always-"

"Come back. I know, I know. You say that every time!" Y/N cried, tearing herself away from him and turning her back. "But what happens when you don't?"

Matthew approached her from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist. "You tell me."

Y/N thought for a moment, leaning into his embrace. "I would... hm... I would curse the sea a thousand times, and then I would cast myself into it to be with you."

"Woah." Matthew turned her around and stared deeply into her eyes. "I don't like that idea." He pulled her closer and held her securely in his arms. "You, my darling Y/N, are a smart, independent woman. You will find a way to care for yourself if I am ever to be taken from you. But the chances of that are unlikely."

Y/N allowed a few tears to fall as she sniffled into his chest. "Please, please promise me you won't allow yourself to be taken!" she sobbed.

Matthew gently stroked her hair. "I promise," he cooed gently.

"Okay," Y/N breathed, but she still didn't pull away from him.

Matthew chuckled once more. "I think I may know how to cheer you up," he whispered seductively in her ear.

Y/N looked up at him, noticing a slight smirk resting on his face. She smiled. "Alright then. What are you waiting for?"

Matthew scooped her up into his arms and carried her back to their bedroom. Once there, he placed her gently on the bed and began to work on undressing himself. Y/N bit her lip as she watched him. He was wasting no time. "How long have you been waiting?" she asked teasingly.

"All. Fucking. Day," he replied, not ashamed in the least. Once he was down to his boxers, he approached her on the bed and crawled on top of her.

Y/N noticed his erection and moved her hand down to palm it, but Matthew grabbed her wrist. "Ah ah ah, not yet." He lightly kissed her nose and then pressed a passionate kiss onto her lips.