Just Visiting- Edward Nygma (Gotham)

Y/N approached the gates of Arkham Asylum, excitedly clutching her purse. Fridays were the best days for her because she got off of work and got to get dressed up to see her boyfriend. She was wearing her best dress for him today because it was their anniversary. Six months exactly.

The guard at the gate recognized her and let her in, stopping her before she could go any further

The guard at the gate recognized her and let her in, stopping her before she could go any further. "Sorry Ms Y/L/N, but you know the rules."

Y/N sighed. "I know, I know, here." She handed him her purse so he could go through it to ensure she wasn't planning anything nefarious.

"What's this?" the guard asked, holding up a small box.

"His anniversary present," she answered.

The guard peeked inside and smirked. As he put the box back and gave her back her purse, he said, "Oh, he'll love that."

"I know." Y/N winked as she proceeded inside.

The receptionist looked up when she walked in and smiled warmly at Y/N. "Hello Ms Y/L/N. You know where to go," she said. "Oh, and happy anniversary," she added as she buzzed Y/N in.

Whenever most people heard Y/N talk about her boyfriend who was at Arkham Asylum, they assumed he was a doctor or a guard there. But that could not have been further from the truth. Her boyfriend was an inmate there. And not just any inmate, the one and only Edward Nygma. Charged with at least four murders and a deeply convoluted frame job, Edward was by far the smartest person in the whole asylum. Y/N loved Edward's intelligence, and his murderous tendencies never deterred her from him. Maybe it was because she always knew that Ed would never turn on her. They loved each other too much.

Y/N reached the visiting room and sat at her normal seat, patiently waiting for the orderlies to bring out Edward. She swung her legs underneath the table and fidgeted with the box in her purse as she waited. Finally, the familiar buzz of the prison gates echoed across the room, and two men dressed in all white escorted Edward to his seat. They tentatively uncuffed him, and as soon as they did, Edward reached out and cupped Y/N's face in his hands. He stared lovingly at her as the wary orderlies watched and slunk to the back of the room. "Y/N, you look so lovely today, darling."

"Edward," Y/N whispered, leaning into his touch. "I wore your favourite dress."

He smirked. "You're like a model, sprouts true beauty. Sends sexual shock waves to others and withers away in the end on contests. Your arms extend freely to reach the crowns, that's shiny and clear and helps you along in life, what are you?"

"A rose," Y/N answered softly.

"That's correct, you're my rose," he clarified, pulling his hand away.

Y/N giggled. "You tell me that riddle every week Ed, and yet I never tire of it. How come?"

"Well, because it's romantic, isn't it?" Ed asked. "Besides, the day you grow bored of that riddle is the day you stop loving me."

"It's a good thing that day will never come, then," Y/N promised.

"That is very good, considering I got you a present," Edward told her as he reached into his pocket.

Y/N smiled. "Ed, you didn't have to get me anything! Erm, actually, how did you get me something?"

"I didn't get it, exactly, I made it," he admitted, holding out his open palm. On it was a bunch of little wax hearts that were moulded together in the shape of a question mark. "Happy anniversary, my rose."

Y/N gasped and daintily picked up the trinket. "How did you make this? It's so thoughtful!"

"I was hoping you'd ask. I moulded the hearts out of the babybel cheese wax that encased the cheese we'd get at lunch and dinner every day. After I procured enough of them, I broke off a piece of my sink and bent it to my desired shape of a question mark. Then, during arts and crafts day, I stole some of the clear Elmer's glue to pour over the hearts in the mould. Finally, when I was on kitchen duty, I baked it under the heat lamps, then removed the mould and polished it so it shined," Ed explained proudly.

"Oh my God, I love it, Eddie," Y/N breathed.

"And I love you," he murmured, leaning over the table and kissing her cheek.

"Hey, watch it you two!" one of the orderlies shouted from across the room.

Edward just rolled his eyes and paid them no mind.

Y/N pulled out her gift from her purse. "I don't think my gift can compare to yours, Eddie."

"Nonsense, let me see it." Edward held out his hand and Y/N placed the box in it.

As he opened it, Y/N stated, "I had it specially made at Gotham Jewellers. It's nothing much, but I hope you like it."

"Like it? Y/N, I love it!" Edward exclaimed as he held up his gift. It was a red glass rose petal on a chain.  The petal had a message engraved in it. It read:

𝓕𝓻𝓸𝓶 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮,

𝓘 𝓱𝓾𝓻𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓶𝓸𝓼𝓽 𝔀𝓱𝓮𝓷 𝓵𝓸𝓼𝓽, 𝔂𝓮𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝓼𝓸 𝔀𝓱𝓮𝓷 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓱𝓪𝓭 𝓪𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝓵. 𝓘'𝓶 𝓼𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓭𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓮𝔁𝓹𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼, 𝓫𝓾𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓲𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓲𝓰𝓷𝓸𝓻𝓮. 𝓘 𝓬𝓪𝓷 𝓫𝓮 𝓰𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝓪𝓷𝔂, 𝓸𝓻 𝓳𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓮. 𝓐𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝓰𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾. 𝓦𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓪𝓶 𝓘?

"Love," Edward whispered happily as a tear came to his eye.

She blushed. "I hope they let you keep it, even though it's glass, and I don't think you're allowed to have it. But Nolam let me in at the gate, so..."

"They will have to kill me if they wish to take it from me," Edward declared.

"Babe, I love you so much, no matter what other people say or think. You'll always be mine, and I'll always be yours," Y/N said. "Happy anniversary, Eddie."

"I couldn't have said it any better myself," Edward mumbled before leaning over the table again to kiss Y/N, on the lips this time.

She melted into his touch, but they didn't have long before the orderlies were at their sides. "Alright lovebirds, time to go," one said.

As Edward pulled away, he spoke. "What two letters in the alphabet say goodbye?"

Y/N thought for a moment. "C U."

"Ah, yes you will, next week, my rose. Hopefully, we'll be able to sneak in more than two kisses," he said with a smirk.

As the orderlies cuffed him, the one who had spoken before muttered, "Don't count on it."

Edward sneered. "Speaking of counting, you won't have any fingers to count on when I'm finished with y-"

"Edward," Y/N warned playfully.

He exhaled deeply and closed his eyes. "C U later," he whispered as a tear rolled down his cheek.

Y/N sniffled and held her wax heart question mark close to her chest. "C U later, Eddie."