Lost in Sardinia Part 3

Summary - Ruben is on a getaway in Sardinia. There he meets a girl named Fiorella. She starts to wonder why Ruben won't tell her what exactly he is getting away from, or even what his real name is.

Enjoy!

Fiorella had always lived in Sardinia, surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the island she called home. The crystal-clear waters, lush greenery, and majestic landscapes were a part of her everyday life. It had never occurred to her to go on hike and discover it all.

"You good to go?"

Fiorella told Ruben to meet here at dawn, at the base of the mountain trail. He arrived dressed for the occasion, wearing a loosely fitted t-shirt, a pair of shorts and proper running shoes. Fiorella on the other hand, woke up and did what she always did, dressed according to weather. She wore a hat for the sun and sandals to go with her ripped jeans and white tank top.

"You should know," Fiorella confessed, "I've never been on a hike before. The last time I was at the waterfalls my family and I went by car."

"Are you having second thoughts?" There was a fraction of concern in Ruben's voice.

Fiorella shook her head. "You wish."

He smiled warmly. "Good, let's not waste anymore daylight then."

With excitement and a hint of nervousness, Fiorella and Ruben began their trek into the untouched wilderness of Sardinia. The air was alive with the scent of wildflowers and the chorus of birdsong, as the two explorers carefully navigated the uneven terrain.

As they journeyed deeper, Fiorella marveled at Ruben's endurance and genuine appreciation for nature. His captivating stories of travels around the world fascinated her, desperately fueling her attraction to this curious stranger.

"What's the reason for your travels?" Fiorella asked, trying to mask the fact that she was out of breath from walking.

"Mostly to clear my mind."

Ruben walked with rapid steps, a pace Fiorella praised herself for keeping up with. On the other hand, Ruben didn't walk with hunched back like she did. His braud shoulders were brought back with his perfect posture and as a pool's of sweat damped the back of his shirt, Fiorella couldn't help but to let her imagination run free.

"Clear your mind of what?" She asked. "What is it full of?"

"I just have some decisions to make back home."

"Decisions about what?"

Ruben glanced over his shoulder, meeting her eye. "You know, there is usually not this much talking during a hike."

"Then I guess were not on hike then. I guess we just love walking to the throbbing sensation of our feet and the painful pounding of our hearts. May I ad that mine is working overtime right now."

Ruben chuckled.

Fiorella took pride in the fact that she made him crack a smile. It felt like they were experiencing the hike very differently. Ruben went on with a twisted expression on his face, like his life depended on reaching the top of the mountain. Fiorella took several pauses during the hike, mostly to snap photos of strange looking rocks and the poop of unknown animals. At times she wished that she had brought Pluto with them. He would have appreciated the journey, at least more than Ruben did.

"My job." He said, regaining Fiorella's attention. "I have decisions to make about my job."

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm an athlete."

"Like, professional?"

"Yes, it's my main income." Ruben picked up the pace.

"Is this the sport, hiking?" Fiorella was struggling to keep up, almost jogging beside Ruben, who didn't seem to care that she had short legs. She almost tripped herself when he altered his steps very abruptly.

"Is that it?" He asked, head raised to the sky. He was looking at the top of the mountain. It's where the waterfall would be.

Fiorella nodded. "It's about a 20 minute walk."

And leave her behind? Was he crazy?

Ruben turned to her, his expression unreadable. "Do you mind if run the last part?"

"Um...sure. I'll meet you there."

"Alright, see you at the top."

Fiorella watched Ruben pick up the pace and sprint away from her. Had she said something to upset him?

After what felt like hours of hiking, she finally reached their destination - the magnificent waterfall. Its cascading waters sparkled in the sunlight, creating a mesmerizing spectacle against the backdrop of majestic cliffs and vibrant foliage.

"You made it!"

A voice called her from a distance. It was Ruben, already splashing away in the fresh-water pool.

Memroies of her childhood came flooding back. Without hesitation, Fiorella stripped off her shoes, feeling the rush of excitement building within her. She waded into the icy-cold water, feeling its rejuvenating touch on her sore skin. Laughter echoed through the valley as she and Ruben playfully splashed and embraced the exhilarating experience, forgetting about their troubles beyond their realm.

Vading back to land, they lay down on a large rock, drying themselves in the blissful sun. When it was time to go back Fiorella simply dreaded the thought of hiking back down the mountain, leaving the peaceful waterfall behind her.

"Ugh " Fiorella groaned, sitting down, support herself on a rock.

"You okay?"

"My feet."

"Do they hurt?"

"Yes. I don't think I can make it down the mountain by myself."

Ruben crouched down in front of her, inspecting her blisters.

"I picked the wrong shoes didn't I?"

Ruben didn't answer, he was to busy caring for her wounds.

"I should probably call my dad...or my uncle. They know this trail, they can come and pick me up."

"Or you can get on my back."

"Huh?"

Ruben lifted his gaze, looking deep into her eyes. "You can get on my back. I'll carry you down the mountain."