IV

Gildarts POV

That little rascal, talking to me like that? I should've trusted my gut. He is bad news. Why is Cassandra even friends with him? It was already dark, so I went to my place and cleaned myself up. I was taking a shower when I heard a knock on my door.

"The door's open," I yelled.

There was still knocking, so I quickly put a towel around my waist and checked to see who it was.

"Cassandra? What are you doing here, and how do you know where I live?"

"I have connections. I just wanted to apologize for how Oliver was acting earlier. It wasn't cool of him- he's usually never like that."

"You walked miles to apologize for someone else's action? I don't buy it."

"I- um. When you came up to talk to me, what was it about? I don't know why I keep thinking about it, so I just came here to ask you about th-"

"What?"

"Sorry, I just realized you were only wearing a towel."

"You like what you see?"

"No- I mean yes- I mean, no."

"That's a yes. And if I'm being honest with you, I didn't know what to say. I just approached you guys because you seemed a bit too cozy."

"That's it? Were you jealous?"

"More like envious."

"Have you always been this straightforward?"

"Yes, I have. And I can tell you that I would like you to be in my bed tonight."

"I shouldn't."

"Oh, come on. I'm not your patient anymore. I'm only in a towel. My body is moist, and my hair is wet."

"I'm exhausted."

"And you'll be passed out on a street if you go home."

"Okay, fine. I'll stay, but I sleep on the couch."

I opened the door wider so she could come in. She sat on my couch while I joined her.

"What are you doing?"

"Just because you're on the couch doesn't mean I have to be in bed."

"I hate you."

"You love me."

"Nope. So, where's Cana?"

"Oh, she lives at Fairy Hills."

"I see. Why does she drink a lot? I always see her drinking a barrels."

"To this day, I still don't know. I never thought she'd be a heavy drinker when she was younger. I guess she got it from me."

"Do you think it's because she's trying to drink away her pains?"

"I never thought about it that way. I guess it could be."

"Well, you should tell her to minimalize it. It's very unhealthy, especially for her age. She's killing her liver."

I laughed at her comment. "You're so cute when explaining medical things. I'll tell her that. Do you like being a baby doctor?"

"I never regretted my decision. It brings me joy to welcome cute tiny creatures into this world."

"That sounds delightful. It would've been nice if I were there when my wife was pregnant and raising my child. Cana is already a big girl. She doesn't need me."

"She might not need you, but I know she wants you. Perhaps it could be helpful for you to consider increasing your presence in her life rather than maintaining a distance."