Because Of You ✔️

By letiiciaa331

❝ I don't have time to waste thinking about a boy who will only destroy my future,❞ I say getting closer to h... More

I n t r o d u c t i o n
A E S T H E T I C S
P L A Y L I S T
Chapter One: Movin' Out
Chapter Two: Be Alright
Chapter Three: I Knew You Were Trouble
Chapter Four: Womanizer
Chapter Five: How to Be a Heartbreaker
Chapter Six: Bad At Love
Chapter Seven: Circles
Chapter Eight: Sweet But Psycho
Chapter Nine: Purpose
Chapter Ten: Blame It
Chapter Eleven: Just Friends
Chapter Twelve: Home
Chapter Thirteen: Better Now
Chapter Fourteen: Adore You
Chapter Fifteen: Good Time
Chapter Sixteen: Ex's & Oh's
Chapter Seventeen: Hurts Like Hell
Chapter Eighteen: Bad Intentions
Chapter Nineteen: Lost Boy
Chapter Twenty: Truth Hurts
Chapter Twenty-One: Kiss Me
Chapter: Twenty-Two: New Rules
Chapter Twenty-Three: Closer
Chapter Twenty-Four: Jealous
Chapter Twenty-Five: Somewhere Only We Know
Chapter Twenty-Six: Don't Stop The Music
Chapter Twenty-Seven: For the First time
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Every Time We Touch
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Young & Alive
Chapter Thirty: Rich & Sad
Chapter Thirty-One: The Way
Chapter Thirty-Two: Dreaming Of You
Chapter Thirty-Three: This Little Light of Mine
Chapter Thirty-Four: Wild Thoughts
Chapter Thirty-Five: Set Fire to the Rain
Chapter Thirty-Six: Boom Clap
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Clarity
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Stand By Me
Chapter Forty: She Will Be Loved
Chapter Forty-One: Beautiful People
Chapter Forty-Two: Ocean Eyes
Chapter Forty-Three: Look At Her Now
Chapter Forty-Four: Dirty Little Secret
Chapter Forty-Five: In My Feelings
Chapter Forty-Seven: To Build A Home
Chapter Forty-Eight: Stay With Me
Chapter Forty-Nine: Lost Without You
Chapter Fifty: Tell Me You Love Me
Chapter Fifty-One: Honesty
Chapter Fifty-Two: Best Part of Me
Chapter Fifty-Three: Little Do You Know
Chapter Fifty-Four: Confident
Chapter Fifty-Five: Please Don't Go
Chapter Fifty-Six: I'm Yours
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Waves
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Rise Up
A M i l l i o n T h a n k s,
L E T I C I A
A M I L L I O N R E A DS
Q & A

Chapter Forty-Six: Nights Like This

43.2K 1.3K 726
By letiiciaa331

I shift uncomfortably in the driver seat of Lexi's Nissan for the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes. Why the hell did I wear a dress? I pick at the butterfly necklace I also decided to wear around my neck.

"Stop fidgeting, Mari," Lexi scolds for the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes, "You look amazing so stop."

"I'm overdressed, Lex. Why am I wearing a dress to the pier?" I whine suddenly feeling embarrassed as hell. I look like I'm trying way too hard right now and I'm not used to being that kind of girl.

The kind of girl that wears something just to get a certain reaction from someone else.

What have I become?

"No you're not," Ava swats my arm from the backseat lightly, "It's your special birthday outfit. It is a known rule you can wear whatever the hell you want on your birthday and go all out! No one can say shit!" she rants emphatically while wagging her finger at me. God, she sounds like Lexi.

I roll my eyes as Lexi pulls into one of the only available spots, "Well what if I wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt?" I ask even though I know I wanted to wear this dress and necklace for specific reasons. But I was trying to make a point.

"Did I say what you wanted? I mean what your best friends thought was best for you to wear," Ava grins from her seat while Lexi turns off the engine. I can't help the laugh that escapes me; she's just too much.

Once we make it to the main part of the pier, I take in all the bright neon flashing colors around me and the tons of people having various conversations. I'm very much a people-watcher. When I get bored sometimes, I just watch other people live their lives and make-up stories about who they are.

Not in a creepy way. I promise.

It's just a fun way to pass the time and keep my overactive brain running!

"Ooo! There are the boys," Lexi squeals and starts skipping in the direction of the three model-like boys that were scanning their eyes around the pier in search of their girls. Which luckily is us!

I hope...

I can see the recognition in Aiden's eyes as they scan my outfit. I can also see the grin he is so desperately trying to hold back. Just seeing the familiar sparkle in his eyes as he looks at me was worth all the uncomfortableness from before. God, who the hell am I?

I practically do a double-take when I scan his outfit.

He's wearing khakis.

My mind wanders back to our conversation at his house when I said I was into guys who wear khakis just to tickle his pickle. I guess the pickle has been tickled because this boy is wearing fucking khakis.

"Happy birthday, Mari!!!" Mason yells as he launches himself in my arms, much like his sister did earlier. I almost fall back from the impact of the hug but manage to stay on my feet and just pat his back while laughing.

"Thanks, Mas," I flicked my eyes to Aiden's amused ones for a second and bite my lip to hold back a grin. I don't know why, but I'm feeling extra giddy and nervous around him tonight. It's very unsettling and not a feeling I'm used to.

Maybe it is the khakis.

"Don't hog the birthday girl, Mas," Luke complains through a small smile as he stands behind Mason to hug me next, even though he has already seen me today.

A pouting Mason lets me go, "Oh shut it, Luke," he crosses his arms over his chest and stomps away from me and towards a laughing Lexi. I shake my head at his childish behavior as Luke pulls me into a hug.

"I didn't get to hug you earlier since you found out about your audition time and didn't give me the chance to so," he squeezes me into his warm embrace as I giggle.

"You got your audition time?" Aiden asks with a frown on his face. Aw, shit. I didn't tell him yet since I wanted to tell him in person to see his eyes sparkle.

Luckily, Luke lets me go and I walk over to Aiden, "I wanted to tell you in person," I explain, "May 1st at three, Baby!" I cheer along with the rest of the group and a dazzling smile comes onto his face.

"Holy fuck, Torres!" He picks me up, so caught up in the moment I'm pretty sure he forgot everyone else was here, and spins me around before kissing me straight on the lips. I giggle when he picks me up but it quickly turns to nervous chuckles after the peck on the lips.

We've talked about the 'peck on the lips is too relation-shippy' thing before, but I decide to let it slide since it's my birthday and I want some sugar from Sugar. Aw, I miss Rosie.

When I'm back on the ground, I can feel the heat on my cheeks as everyone gives us knowing looks, but Aiden doesn't notice, "Okay. You have... like two months to practice. You're gonna be perfect I fucking know it," his eyes are wild with excitement and it makes the butterflies in my stomach make a familiar appearance.

"Y-yeah," I stutter before turning to the rest of the group, "So what are we doing first, guys?" I ask, hoping to change the subject and not get made fun of.

"Whatever is cool with me," Mason answers, and I sigh in relief, "But I think Aiden would just love to start with the Ferris wheel so he can give you a cute little kiss at the top like the cliche, whipped-as-fuck ass he is."

Shoot, I sighed too soon.

Everyone laughs along with him because... well that's what friends do. We tug each other's legs. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Oh, and Aiden takes it upon himself to rebuttal with a simple hard smack across the back of Mason's head.

It was a pretty good comeback in my opinion.

Especially when Mason continued to complain about the 'bruise forming' on his head or the 'raging headache' he was getting from the force of the impact. We all just laughed at his dramatic ass and Lexi just rubbed his head and took care of him while giving Aiden a thumbs up when Mason wasn't looking.

She knows that was funny.

It's been over an hour of mounds of cotton candy eating, beating everyone at arcade games until they gave up, and mindless walking around while enjoying each other's company.

I'm so grateful to have friends that can make an hour pass by like it was thirty minutes. It's so easy being with them; hearing Mason complaining about how lame the carnival-like games set up were, watching Lexi roll her eyes while dragging him to almost every single one, and being fortunate enough to witness Ava's mini 'good luck' routine she does before playing each one.

It consists of blowing on each hand then wiggling her body a little before starting and each time is funnier than the last.

"Oooo, guys! We have to go on that one," Ava points to the large yellow and red roller coaster that looks extremely unstable as it drags the riders around the entire pier. My eyes widen and my heart flips when the small tin cart wooshes past us, leaving behind the screams of the people on it.

No, thank you.

"Hell, yeah!" Mason practically jumps up as he rubs his hands together in anticipation. Everyone starts walking over to the semi-reasonable line in front of the death contraption and I start to slowly fall behind.

There is no way in hell I'm going on that. I've only been on a couple of rollercoasters in my life and I used to love it as a child. But once when I turned fifteen, I decided I was grown enough to go on one of the most feared coasters during the annual Bakersfield carnival.

I also thought I was grown enough to make my own decisions about when to have cotton candy and I really wanted to have a whole one before getting on the ride. I thought the sugar would help me stay motivated and excited.

The only thing that got excited was my stomach. I spent the next fifteen minutes at the closest trash can as Lexi held my hair back while also whispering about how gross it was.

She'll complain but at least she was there for me for the entire puke time and told the boy I had a crush on at the time, who was there with us but didn't see vomit central, that she was the one who wasn't feeling well so that we could leave.

"Not coming, Mari?" Lexi asks, snapping me out of the foul memory. She has an understanding yet sad look on her face since she knows my answer will be no.

I shake my head quickly, "No, no. I'll just stay at the bench and wait for you guys!" I point towards the wooden bench that was facing the ride not too far from us.

"You sure? I could stay!" she offers but I quickly decline. I know she would stay, but I really don't mind waiting.

It will give me some people watching time.

"No, you're good!" I chuckle as she pouts in my direction with a raised eyebrow, "go before they get on without you, weirdo," I urge while shooing her away from me and towards the rest of the group in line.

She smiles and blows a kiss in my direction, "Thank you! love you, boo," she squeals before skipping off in their direction. I shake my head and laugh as I watch her practically crash into Luke's back from skipping too forcefully.

I walk towards the bench and am pleased to see the lack of bird poop on it as I take a seat. It's much cleaner than I expected it to be.

Ahh, the perfect place to watch my friends risk their lives.

"You didn't go either?" I jump when I hear the honey-like voice that I'm so accustomed to. I turn to my right to see Aiden standing with a brown bag filled to the brim with popcorn in his hands and his khakis. Sorry, I can't get over it.

How did I not notice he wasn't with the group? Man, my Aiden-radar is way off.

"No," I answer while shaking my head, "roller coasters aren't my thing," I say before putting on a forced smile that he just laughs at.

He takes a seat by my side and munches on his popcorn, his mint and pine smell is taken over by another tonight that I didn't catch earlier. A strong... manly scent. Is this man wearing cologne?

I sniff the air around me and lean closer to Aiden, "Are you wearing cologne?" I can't help but ask. His previously confused look turns to one that's a bit more embarrassed and he lets out some nervous chuckles.

"U-um, yeah. I don't know Mason practically held me down and drowned me in it," he stutters and for some reason, I do not think that's what happened.

I do everything possible to hold back my laughter, but can't help to ask, "Oh, did he also hold you down and squeeze those khakis on you?" I watch as his face falls and his cheeks turn a rosy color.

I just had to tease him about the khakis... I don't have the self-control not to.

"Oh, u-um," he looks like he is thinking it over, "I-those were- um, I just wanted to try something new," he explains to the best of his tiny brains ability. I know deep down that what I said at the house had some kind of effect on his choice of attire today, but I let it slide, not wanting to embarrass him further.

"Mhm," I hum in fake accordance and I almost burst out laughing when I hear him nervously chuckle once again.

He quickly rolls his eyes in my direction, "Don't start with me, Torres," he glares playfully, "No way in hell I would forget that dress," he scans my body, taking his time and making my cheeks flare, before grazing his pointer finger on my necklace, "Or that necklace," he whispers slightly before smiling widely and backing away from me.

I can finally breathe, people.

"Well, why didn't you go on the ride?" I ask to change the subject then clear my throat as quietly as I can.

"I wanted popcorn, duh," he states matter-of-factly and like it was obvious. He takes a handful of his popcorn and I laugh at how he stuff most of it in his mouth. He gives me an innocent, stuffed-mouth look before gesturing for me to take some.

Who can pass up free food?

I smile before happily taking my own handful. I like to eat my popcorn one by one since it lasts longer that way!

I turn towards the people passing by us, each at their own pace. Glancing at Aiden, I ask, "Wanna people watch with me?"

His brows furrow in confusion, "People watch?" he questions. Has this boy never people watched? He is about to learn today!

My eyes widen in excitement, "You've never people-watched? Have you ever lived, Grey?" People watching got me through various boring occasions, like waiting in the DMV for hours while my parents figured out paperwork or... high school.

Most of high school...

Aiden laughs, one of my favorite laughs where he throws his head back and his dimple shows– which doesn't happen often–, "Torres, I'm concerned," his head comes back down to stare me down, "Do you spend your free time watching people?"

He gasps suddenly in the most over-dramatic, un-Aiden like way, "Do you watch me while I sleep?" he shudders in fear, but I know it isn't sincere. Oh, please. He would be lucky if I watched him in his sleep!

Okay, that sounded creepy.

I roll my eyes at him and cross my arms over my chest, "NO," I glare when he laughs again, "I mean like making up random stories for random people that pass by you to waste time while having fun," I explain, mostly to defend myself against his creepy accusations.

He raises a brow and gives me an amused, yet pensive look, "Hmm, show me."

I smile before turning towards the mass of victims once again. My eyes landed on a young teenage girl, who was probably about fourteen years old, fidgeting nervously by herself as she scanned the crowd anxiously.

I lean into Aiden a bit as I point to her without being too obvious, "Her," I watch as his gaze follows my finger, "I'm gonna say... she's... waiting for her first date and the guys late," I scoff, "Typical."

Aiden barks out a laugh before shaking his head, "Nope. wrong, Torres," I furrow my brows at him but allow him to continue, "This is her first time at the pier and... she's new in town and trying to scout for friends right now so she can stop being lonely," he states firmly before shoving another handful of popcorn in his mouth.

I smile at his story, happy that he understands my game. Lexi never people-watches with me. She usually says 'Mari, that's probably not true" and I just roll my eyes. It's about creating the truth!

I think I just found my people-watching partner.

I clap my hands slightly to praise him, "Nice job, Grey."

"I have many talents, Torres," he says mischievously and I know what he's referring to. No argument there.

Rolling my eyes, I go back to the people and scan the options before landing on an old man sitting on a bench by himself. His glasses are almost falling off his face as he stays still in his spot emotionless.

I narrow my eyes slightly in thought before pointing to him, "He's here because his grandkids dragged him," I say as Aiden follows my fingers once again, "He hates the pier," I cross my arms over my chest in a proud manner. That was a good one.

Aiden stares at the man for a moment longer, intently, before shaking his head slowly, "Nope. Wrong again, Torres." What?!

I scoff, "Okay, what do you see, Mr. Know-it-all?"

He smiles softly, flickering his gaze to mine before setting it on the man, "He's mourning," my brows furrow in confusion, "The pier is where his wife and him used to spend their anniversaries," he pauses and looks at me, "which is today," he says proudly before continuing, "So he's sitting at the bench and remembering her," he whispers quietly in thought and I just stare at the side of his face.

"They had their first kiss on that bench," he continues, his eyes not wavering from the old man, "He told her he loved her for the first time there too." His eyes shift to mine and the intensity in them makes my heart skip a beat.

Woah. He got all that from an old man on a park bench?

I take a deep breath for my heart to slow back down, "Wow, you're good at this," I whisper but manage to choke out a nervous chuckle.

He snaps himself out of the mini trance he was in and I'm grateful for it, because it was sucking me in way too deep for comfort, "I told you I have many talents, Torres," he jokes, the atmosphere calming back down to a comfortable and carefree one.

I take another handful of his popcorn, making him frown playfully at me, "Oh, I know you do," I flirt back to distract him from my popcorn-naping. It works, of course, and his frown turns into a famous smirk.

He doesn't say anything like I expected, for a while and I just shift my gaze back to the ride in front of us wondering if the gang made it on yet.

"So," Aiden breathes out from beside me, getting my attention, "When are you telling your family?" he asks and my heart immediately falls into my stomach from the nerves.

I tug loose strands of my hair behind my ear, "Um, next week," I put on a forced smile and watch as his face turns worrisome, "I'm gonna drive up and... I'm finally going to tell them about the switch and the audition." I try to sound strong, but I know I'm panicking inside.

"How are you feeling?" he asks tentatively. I know he is asking to make sure I'm not backing out or changing my mind about the entire thing, like I made him promise to do.

I'm not. I can't. I know what I want now. I just hope my parents understand that.

"I'm good," I say firmly as Aiden just gives me a deadpan look in return, "Okay, I'm freaking terrified, Grey! Happy?" I exclaim while throwing my arms in the air.

He chuckles lightly, "I know you're scared. Even if you say you're good, I know." I roll my eyes in annoyance. Why does he know me this well?

"Torres, I'm sure they are gonna be happy for you! You're doing what you love and what makes you fucking happy!" he smiles widely at me, "They love you no matter what you want to do with your life," he tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear like I did earlier before lightly poking my nose with the back of his pointer finger, "That's not gonna change. I promise."

He sounds so sure and I want to believe him so badly, but I can't stop my overactive thoughts everytime I go over the conversation in my head when I practice what I'm going to say.

I can feel his sparkling eyes burning into the side of my face before I lift my eyes to meet them, "Okay," I mumble, wanting this conversation to be over. The more I think about it, the more anxious I get and I just want to live in the moment right now.

With him.

I eat more of the buttery popcorn in my hand in silence and feel the salt stick to my fingers before Aiden speaks up again, "They're taking long as fuck," he complains and I giggle when I watch him throw his head back as if waiting for them is an agonizing responsibility.

"We could go on another ride while we're waiting," I suggest calmly. He lifts his head back up and scans the pier for, what I assume, is a ride we could go on. He licks and purses his lips as he analyses each and everyone and I just stare at him.

It's dark now and the only light is from the vibrant colors radiating off each ride and stand. The bright neon yellow and red colors beaming from the ride in front of us are illuminating his face in the most appealing way that I almost get caught during my gawking fest.

"We could," he starts slowly as a smirk appears on his face, "go on the Ferris wheel," he mumbles and looks anywhere but at me. I bite my lip to hold back a grin as I think about what Mason said earlier.

"So you can give me a kiss at the top like the whipped-as-fuck ass you are?" I tease by repeating Mason's earlier words.

He shrugs innocently but I catch the smile brewing on his face, "Maybe," freaking butterflies, "orrrr," he drags out before leaning closer to me, our lips almost touching, "I could do way more than give you a kiss at the top."

My eyes widen at his suggestion, "Grey! This is a family place, you nasty!" I scold him while simultaneously trying to calm down my red cheeks.

He chuckles smoothly, "What? They gotta learn at some point!"

I scoff loudly before throwing some of my popcorn at him playfully. He quickly responds by stuffing his hands into the brown bag and pulling out another handful before throwing it all right back at me. How rude!

"Hey," I whine as I picked some of the popcorn out of my hair, "I threw like five at you," I complain before patting my hair to make sure all of the popcorn was gone.

He rolls his eyes with a smile, "Well, you should have thought about that before starting a war, Torres," he narrows his eyes at me, and I narrow mine right back. Luckily, his eyes shift down to my lips, distracting him enough for me to grab another handful of his popcorn and chuck it at him while laughing.

I can't help but have fun when I'm with Aiden. It's physically impossible not to smile when I'm around him.

His eyes widen in shock before he glares at me menacingly, letting me know the popcorn wars have begun. And I'm not one to lose.

Here is chapter FORTY-SIX of "Because Of You"!!!

I love this chapter because they are too freaking cute in it :)) But you know what they say... calm before the storm... ;)

VOTE AND COMMENT reactions, predictions, anything!! I love reading comments!! As of today, we are #4 in College which is awesomee! 

Also, I have been working on making new aesthetics and being more creative and I came up with a new aesthetic for Mari that I am just too excited not to show!!!

Let me know what you think!! pictures were found on Pinterest but were all edited by me. I tried to make sure I wasn't taking any photo's edited by a certain account the best of my ability!!

Be back tomorrow with more dramaaa, get EXCITED!!

A million thanks, 

Leticia ❀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 529 64
Isabella Harper, a nineteen-year-old, lost her color vision after her sister's suicide. She shut down herself from everyone and remained in her world...
19.1M 538K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...
93.1K 8.1K 39
Perpetual quitter Vera Kwan thinks she's got it made when her style blog catches the attention of narcissistic actor Carmen Juarez, but after egos ig...
496K 21.4K 59
"Everyone has a chapter they don't want to read out loud. Mine just so happens to be a book." Allison Bridge. Hearing her name makes most people crin...