Must Be Fate [COMPLETE]

By PenTherapy

•Completed with incoming edits• "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." - Aristotle They... More

What are the odds?
Lucky Me.
Wild thoughts
Sweet Dreams
Its a date
Even.
Time to let go
I like this.
Mi Casa es Su Casa
Trouble
Enjoying myself
24 Hours
You did what?
Forgot.
Second thoughts.
More than that.
Sugar daddy.
@sshole.
Jealousy.
Hurt feelings.
Addicted.
I'll be the last.
So much for a boring day.
Start over.
Its official.
Drink it away.
Happy
Take a trip
Future
No problems
Mile High
Drama
A mistake.
I'm ready.
We were good.
Author's Note
Give me you.
First day
The tea.
Disrespectful.
News travels.
It is what it is
Its there forever.
Its serious.
Shes wise.
No mistakes.
I can do this.
I love it here.
She will be loved.
Coulda been you.
A gift?
My brother's heart.
Update!!
All his fault.
Broken promise.
Its not safe.
Stronger.
I have an idea.
Ready to meet God.
Like mother, like daughter
Home
Big Decisions.
Changes
Wild nights.
My brother.
ViP
Make it rain.
So I know its real.
Birthday.
Happily Ever After

Change my mind.

13.4K 616 60
By PenTherapy

The last weeks at my old company flew by. On my days off, Malik had flown me up north on a private jet so I could take the threat challenges offered by the social media company, and it was well worth it. They even tried to offer me a full-time position. I declined but told them to keep me on their list for contracts when needed.

On my final day, Jonathan threw a small farewell party and as my parting gift, he gave me an opened ended contract to continue helping with the training of my replacement until she learns the ropes.
I made sure to hire another black woman. I'm glad I could use my pull to put someone else like me in a great position.

As I finish cleaning out my office and take my things out to my car I get a text from Malik.

Wanna do something
fun 2night.

🤔 I love fun?

My boy invited me to a 🏀 game, you down?

I'm down. Meet at your place?

Nope. Here. (Location)
6:30 pack a bag.

The address is to a hotel downtown near the sports arena. I check the time and see that I need to get going. My GPS says it'll take me an hour to get there from my house.

I say my last farewells to Jonathan and the team and leave. Driving away from the building feels bittersweet. My first job since moving here, my stepping stone.

I'm so happy to be starting my dream career next week, but for now, It's the weekend, so I push that thought out of my mind and turn on some music to drive to.

I get home and go look for something to wear. I take out a pair of blue jeans and a black off-the-shoulder tunic sweater to wear with my black designer combat boots. I match it with a crossbody purse.

I take a quick shower and shave. I pull my hair into a low bun then reapply some light makeup for a natural look.

As I'm examining myself in the full-length mirror, I remember that Malik said pack an overnight bag, so I grab my duffel and go retrieve my bathroom essentials. In my closet, I grab some undergarments and a navy blue sweatsuit with some white tennis shoes. Nikes. I grab two dresses and a pair of heels in case we go somewhere that requires dressing up.

I make it to the hotel with minutes to spare. Traffic wasn't as bad as expected, surprisingly, even with the basketball game going on.

As I phone Malik to tell him I'm here, I'm hoping I didn't forget anything important while rushing myself. He tells me to valet my car and meet him in the lobby. I get out with my bag and purse and give the keys to the gentleman waiting at the entrance.

As I enter the lobby, Malik emerges from the elevator looking good enough to eat.
He hugs me and I nearly lose myself in his intoxicating smell.

"Let's go put your things upstairs and then we'll walk over to the arena." He informs me grabbing my bag to carry and leading me to the elevators.

Upstairs, he opens the door to our room and lets me enter first. The place is incredible. We walk into a large living room area, and he sets my bag down on the couch. I don't dare stray further in because then we'll be late.

"You wanna look around?" Malik asks.

I swear he can read my mind. "No, I'll see it when we get back," I say nonchalantly.

"Okay, let's go." He takes my hand in his.

We walk out of the hotel and cross the street to the sports arena. We walk through the event complex and towards the entrance. Malik pulls out his phone and security scans what appears to be a barcode and we enter the arena and go up an escalator.

"We're going to a skybox?" I ask him, reading the signs.

He nods and smiles. "Just to see Mason real quick, we have floor-seats unless you prefer to sit up here." He tells me.

"Floor seats? Who's your friend?" I laugh.

"He's the point guard." He tells me, opening the door for me to enter.

I don't know how to respond, but I don't know why I'm surprised that Malik knows a pro basketball player.

We walk in and I see the back of Mason's head sitting down near the glass.

"Mase," Malik calls to him.

Mason turns around and stands up. They hug and dap each other up. I notice a girl is sitting in the seat next to his. She turns around and smiles giving a quiet wave standing up.

She's gorgeous. Red hair and freckles.

"Hey Rece, this is my friend Amber." Mason introduces us. "Amber this is Malik's girlfriend Sharice."

My cheeks heat up when Mason calls me Malik's girlfriend. It's still so new.

"Nice to meet you," I say waving.

"You gonna sit down by the court?" Mason asks us.

Malik looks at me. "Up to her." He puts me on the spot.

"Yeah, we can," I tell him pretending not to care even though I would love to.

"Okay. We'll catch y'all later. We're gonna have dinner at one of the restaurants by the hotel after the game." Mason tells us.

"That works, we're staying there tonight," Malik informs him.

Mason has done a complete 180 since our first dinner together. Mason's been like a brother to me since then. I like it.

Malik explained to me his brother was just trying to look out for him. Mason told me Malik is as mean to him since I've been around, so I appreciate that. I'm an only child, so I always wished I had siblings.

The game ends and we hang around for Malik to talk to his friend, the point guard. He converses with a few of the team staff and front office people while I sit down scrolling through my phone.

I feel a chill up my spine causing me to look up. To my surprise, I meet the face of a man, I thought I'd never have to see again. It's my ex, Henry.

"Sharice!" Henry calls out walking over to me. "I thought that was you."

I feel a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as he nears. "Henry, um... what are you doing here?" I fumble on my words trying to keep calm.

"What are YOU doing here?" He dismisses my question, looking me up and down. "You look amazing."

I feel sick. "Thanks, I.." I stammer "I have to go."

"Wait," he says touching my arm. "Come say hello to my brother, he plays for Phoenix now. He'll be happy to see you."

Watching the game, I hadn't noticed that I knew one of the opposing team's players.

"Henry, I can't." I turn around as Malik is walking over with someone.

"Hey baby, I want you to meet my friend, Devon," Malik says introducing me to his friend. "Devon, this is my lady, Sharice."

"Sharice, nice to meet you." He said smiling. "Malik, you better be taking good care of her. She's beautiful."

I smile awkwardly "Thank you, nice to meet you, Devon." I try to ignore my uneasiness.

"Did you enjoy the game?" He asks.

"Yeah. I'll have to catch another one, you guys were great." I tell him starting to relax.

"Thanks, let me know next time y'all wanna come. I gotchu."

"We definitely will bro." He and Malik dap. "Thanks again, for inviting us."

I wave as he walks away and turn around. Henry hasn't moved. Malik looks to me for an explanation.

As I open my mouth and try to speak by nothing comes out.

"I'm Henry!" he announces himself, boldly. "Sharice's-." He stares daggers into my head as I finally find my words.

"Mon Professeur et ex-ami." (my old professor and ex-boyfriend) I admit to Malik.

"English Sharice, you know how much I hated that." Henry scolds me.

"Va chercher Mason. Je serai juste derrière toi." (Go find Mason, I'll be right behind you.) he tells me.

I don't move. I'm... afraid.

"Who are you?" Henry asks stepping closer to Malik and me.

"Malik, I'm Sharice's boyfriend. It was nice meeting you but we've gotta get going."

"Sharice, can we... can we just talk?" Henry begs, reaching for my hand.

I flinch and I can feel Malik investigating me. This is so embarrassing.

I look at Henry. His age is very noticeable now. Eyes looking sad and tired. He's lost a considerable amount of weight since I last saw him. He's got scruff all over his usually clean-shaven face. I start to feel terrible for the way I left him.

I told him it was over, but I don't think he believed me. How could he, I'd told him that so many times, to turn around and forgive.

"Sharice.." Malik breaks me from my thoughts placing his hand around mine, he whispers in my ear. "If you want to talk to him, that's fine, but be mindful."

"No, it's fine Malik," I tell him. I turn to face Henry with newfound courage. "Henry, I don't want to talk to you. We have nothing to discuss, but I wish you the best."

"Sharice, won't you give me a chance to explain things. I have changed." He pleads as I walk away. "I'll be in town for the weekend. My number's still the same if you change your mind." He says as I continue walking away holding Malik's hand.

I won't change my mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

653K 39.7K 58
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it a memory... You know you're in love when you can say anything to the person and you know t...
26.7K 1K 31
[COMPLETED] "You know my brother really loves you.." Kelly said looking at me. "Yes I know that and I love him too- but how much shit do I have to p...
1.6K 88 18
𝕤𝕖𝕣𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕥𝕪: the absence of mental stress / anxiety ᶠⁱⁿᵈ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵖᵉᵃᶜᵉ | ᵖᵘᵗ ʸᵒᵘʳ 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 ᵃᵗ 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 ᥫ᭡ additional details inside . . ...
24.4K 947 44
"I just thought..." I begin, flustered, not really sure where my words are headed. He shakes his head. "We can't," he states, removing my hand from h...