The Fall (Insanity 2)

Lan Wangji could feel his heart shattering and remolding itself with every heavy step he took. He held the man snuggled in his arms closer, letting the waterfall of blood-soaked hair rest on his chest. He was so frail... Wei Ying's breaths were labored, and he gave a jerk every time Lan Zhan accidentally halted, before crumpling back onto him. Wei Ying...Just how long has it been since you last slept? I'll take you to safety, I promise. What have they done to you? Wei Ying, I'll help you. I'll protect you. I swear. Please, let me help. Don't push me away.

"篮湛,别离我。。。留下来。篮湛。 篮湛!江澄,别!蓝湛,你放手吧。再见了。蓝忘机,蓝湛,我爱你。。。"

Lan Zhan, don't leave me... Stay here, please. Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan! Jiang Cheng, don't! Lan Zhan, let me go. Please. Farewell. Lan Wangji, Lan Zhan, I love you...

Wei Wuxian murmured, whimpering. He burrowed deeper into his love's chest, savoring his warmth. Lan Wangji's heart raced. Just what did Wei Wuxian mean? Why would he... Ask him to stay, then ask him to leave? And did he... Did he just say he loved him?
Lan Zhan was at a loss for speech. But then again, he'd never been. Still, a shard, a large one at that, embedded itself in his heart.
Cradling his heart gently, he leaned down and whispered, "I love you, too."

Lan Wangji appeared in front of a cavern. It smelled of stale water and cold earth, and the rocks were rough and jagged. It reminded him of another cave, a long, long time ago. Before everything went to hell. Before his Wei Ying became hurt. Suddenly, it was as if a wave had crashed over him. He was so, so tired. Was this how his Wei Ying felt? His steps faltered, and his world was spinning before his eyes. Wei Ying. Still, he powered through, finding a rock to sit on, and setting Wei Ying down gently, letting his head rest in his lap. Slowly, he found himself humming a familiar tune. Just before exhaustion seeped into his every pore, and his body, and Wei Ying's warmth lulled him to sleep.

He...Where was he? Scenes flashed in front of his eyes, but nothing registered. Swathes of black, grey and red swarmed around him. He was...Was he at Nightless City? But why? Haven't I already gotten out? But something caught his eye. a flash of angry purple robes, stark against the dull background of the battlegrounds. Curiously, he lurched forward, following the deep purple and violet robes.

"Wei Wuxian! " Jiang Cheng's voice rang out, boiling with rage and hatred. He glared at Wei Wuxian, and Sandu was raised high above his head. Then Lan Wangji realised something. In front of Jiang Cheng, was none other than him, and Wei Ying. He could see himself, bloodied and dishevelled, gripping Wei Ying's hand tightly. And Wei Ying... Wei Ying was hanging off the cliff.
Shit. Shit. How the hell did that happen? Moving closer, Wei Ying's eyes were bloodshot, tears staining his cheeks, and his arm, the one he was using to grip Wei Ying, was wounded and bloody, and his brow was furrowed in concentration, trying to pull his beloved up. It was working, but...
"Lan Zhan, let me go," Wei Wuxian pleaded, his gaze never wavering from Lan Wangji's.
"No," he tersely replied, straining his arms to continue getting Wei Ying up. After all, how could Lan Zhan let go of his life? The sight of them brought both joy and sorrow into Lan Wangji's heart. He hadn't let go. But Wei Ying... He wanted to go. Why? Was he not enough?
Then he realised something. Jiang Wanyin was right behind them. Sandu was raised up high, glinting in the dim moonlight, and Lan Zhan could only watch in sheer horror as it came crashing down, dislodging the rock he and Wei Ying were resting on.  His heart leaped out of his throat, and he could feel anxiety rushing through him. By all laws of physics, he knew that logically, the rock would crumble, literally, under their weight, and judging from the height and angle of the fall, there was no chance of them surviving. Lan Zhan's breath constricted. Then...
"Wei Wuxian, 你去死吧!"  and Wei Ying pulled his hand out of his grip, slipping away before plummeting down, down and down.
Lan Wangji could feel every fibre of his being shattering from within. His eyes followed the falling silhouette, his Wei Ying, in absolute disbelief.
" No," he whispered, his voice harsh in his mind. Wei Ying... No. As foolish as it ought to be, Lan Zhan wished it was him who fell instead of Wei Wuxian, and wished he fell with him. The thought of Wei Ying dying snatched his breath away, and pained him more than the idea of him dying.
As his eyes shuttered close, he could hear him, the other him, crying, sobbing, just like he was. Hot tears streamed down his cheeks, and his throat went dry.

Then the world was blinded with flashes of crimson, azure light.

---------------------------------------------------------
A/N: 869 words! Haven't updated in awhile. And no,  not done with this one shot yet. There'll be another sequel, because I've an idea for this, and want to keep writing. Thanks for reading!