Mutual Surrender (Insanity 4)

Wei Wuxian woke up to a splitting headache. His head threatened to sunder open, and his bones creaked as he attempted to get up. His vision blurred as he glanced around the cave. Where am I? The sound of creaking and flowing water answered, but to no avail. Slowly, his memory trickled back to his head, and warm arms, strong ones, wrapped themselves around his waist, holding him tightly in place.

"Lan Zhan," he breathed. Suddenly, the pain in his head ceased, and his tense muscles relaxed, "Where are we?"
The elder simply held him closer, hugging him tightly. "Xuanwu Cave."
Memories flooded both, and they spent some minutes in silence.

Grinning, Wei Wuxian teased, "Lan Er-gege, why are you so close to me? I thought you hated proximity?"

"Yes.Only Wei Ying." can touch me, hug me in that manner. No one else. A small smile etched itself on mischief, but truthfully, Wei Ying's heart soared with joy at those words. However...

"I'd never leave you."
" But-"
"No."

"I-mnnn, mnn!" Lan Wangji's determination brooked no arguments. Instead of speaking, he softly kissed Wei Ying on the cheek. I love you, he whispered against the other's skin. Softly but surely, again and again. I don't care how many rules I break. You are my rules. He planted as many kisses as he could on Wei Ying's flushed face, before stopping.

"Lan-Lan Zhan!" rendered breathless, Wei Wuxian turned around indignantly. "How could you just kiss someone without any warning? You almost gave me a heart attack!" 

Lan Wangji did the unthinkable. He grinned and rolled his eyes, pulling himself closer to Wei Wuxian, until they were barely half an inch apart. 
"How do you want me to do it, then?" his breath panned out against the crook of Wei Ying's neck, sending shivers up his spine. Wei Wuxian knew he was trapped, but no, he wouldn't be submissive. "Like this," he breathed, before dragging the second Jade of Lan into a passionate kiss. 

"At best, you're the untamed hero; at worst, you offend people wherever you go."

Jiang Wanyin's barbed, cruel voice rang through Wei Wuxian's head. In a flurry, he threw his arms, pushing Lan Wangji away. His gilt eyes widened in shock, but he quickly recovered. "Wei Ying?" his voice wavered slightly. His hands fell, as if unsure whether or not to touch his love again, to broach the subject. "I-'' but a familiar, endearing face flashed before his eyes, swathed in violet and gold, now bloodstained, robes. Soft hazel eyes, eyes that had cried with him, crinkled in laughter, understood him, seeked his, before something shoved him roughly aside. Wei Wuxian's eyes widened in shock, only to see a glint of cunning silver pierce his beloved sister's flesh. No. " A-Xian," upon hearing his name, Wei Ying's legs gave way. He plopped down to the floor, kneeling, body trembling. Sensing his distress, Jiang Yanli used the last vestiges of her energy to raise her hand, softly caressing his face. 

To Wei Wuxian, it turned colder with every passing second, and it petrified him. He'd seen death before, but not like this. Not when he truly cared.  "阿羡, 你为什么跑得那么快?师姐刚才看不到你。啊羡, 这-" 不是你的错。 The words hung between both, unspoken. Frozen to the ground, Wei Ying was there as the last of life drained his sister. His Shijie. Stared on as her eyes glossed over, as the hand he held onto turned limp and cold. Hot tears made their way down his face, and his heart truly ached. It throbbed painfully, and for once, he couldn't find it in himself to speak. Was this what it felt like? Losing someone you truly hold dear? How did they manage it? The unyielding grief, the deafening voices? 

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan's voice broke him out of his reverie, and he realized that his fingers were entwined with the elder's long, tapered ones. Squeezing his palm tightly, Wei Wuxian could sense the other's worry. His concern, his love, his care, laid bare for him to see.  So he dared to question. 

"Lan Zhan, in this world, what is truly good, and what is truly bad?" 
" In this world, there's rarely to nothing that's truly good or bad. Everything is just what it is. There are so many shades of grey. But what matters is rarely black and white, but the meaning behind it. "
" Lan Zhan, am I.. " trailing off desperately, Wei Wuxian swallowed. 

" Wei Ying is good. "  four syllables rang out long and confidently. His gilt eyes held no shadows, no untruths. Simply unwavering honesty. Wei Wuxian wanted to laugh, to hug him. Who knew? When the rest of the world was against him, when his own brother was against him, that the one standing next to him, beside him, was none other than Lan Wangji, Lan Zhan? But the world was full of surprises, and this didn't surprise him in the least. Still...Exactly how many people would I hurt? How many people would I sacrifice and lose? Why does everything I touch, everything I love, everything I care about, vanish, fade or crumble before me?

"You don't. I'll stay." His gaze still cut directly into Wei Ying's smoky grey pupils, steadfast, and there. If there was something Wei Wuxian had forgotten, Lan Wangji would always be there to remind him. And he did forget. Forget that all that ever happened, that every being he'd ever loved, who loved and cared for him in turn, had given themselves up for him. Had chosen it. Had gone willingly. But why couldn't Wei Wuxian see that? He wasn't blind, it was simply that...That he'd rather be the one hurt, much rather that, than be the one people threw down their lives for. He had a hero complex, and he knew that. But those brilliant, brilliant lives that were snuffed out because of it...And he...Wei Wuxian gulped. He wasn't worth any of it. Suddenly, he felt slight pressure on his hand. It was Lan Zhan. Looking back up, he lost himself in the maze of golden eyes.

"Who am I to you?" though his eyes glimmered with unshed tears, Wei Ying stared up longingly at the Second Jade. Haunting grey eyes tracing gold, beryl eyes, a beautifully carved nose, and velvet red lips. His only match. Only once-worthy opponent, only companion.

"My soulmate. "Wei Ying could feel his heart racing faster, but shoved down the feeling of hope slowly rising through him. Was it possible? Probably not...But his heart still sped up, clanging against his chest. To prove his point, he pulled him closer, such that they were mere inches apart. Hot breath fanned against the other's cheek. Before he could process what had happened, he found his lips swiftly. Taking his time, Lan Zhan made sure to savor every nook and cranny of Wei Ying's mouth, moving against him gently, softly, roaming. His actions truly spoke more volumes than his words ever could, and he wanted Wei Ying to feel. 

Time came to a halting stop, for what felt like hours, and both surrendered themselves to each other, tasting every moment. But love doesn't heal all wounds, simply closes them, numbs them, until something rips it open...And pain was an eternal thing, always there, lurking, readying itself for the pounce...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: 1218 words! I'm sorry for not updating in so long, but I got a little lost writing this! Again, I might not be updating as frequently now, and do drop a vote or a comment if you want me to know you were here! Also, TYSM SO MUCH FOR 1K READS!!!!